|This article requires cleanup.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page and improve it if you can. This article has been tagged since 18:47, January 30, 2016 (UTC).
The Abolethic Sovereignty were the original aboleths of the Realms, who dwelt in the flying, obelisk-shaped city of Xxiphu. Their aim was to unlock the Far Manifold with the Key of Stars (the Cerulean Sign) and open the gate to the Far Realm to unleash their masters onto the world.
The Abolethic Sovereignty originally came to Toril when the world was young, when Xxiphu plummeted to the world and settled deep below what is now the Sea of Fallen Stars. The oldest-known aboleth and possibly the progenitor of the entire species, the Eldest, was an enormous creature that rested atop the city like a throne. He was said to have been old when Abeir-Toril was split asunder.
In 1396 DR, Xxiphu was raised over the Sea of Fallen Stars and the Sovereignty forced the kuo-toa into their service, by calling "Come to me, children of Toril, and serve." Shortly after its raising, Malyanna moved Xxiphu to the Citadel of the Outer Void on the fringe of the Feywild to open the gate to the Far Realm, but failed.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell (December 2008). Plague of Spells (Mass Market Paperback). (Wizards of the Coast), p. 162. ISBN 978-0-7869-4965-6.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell (2009). City of Torment. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 305. ISBN 978-07869-5184-0.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell (September 2010). Key of Stars. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 115–116. ISBN 978-0786956289.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell (September 2010). Key of Stars. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 166–167. ISBN 978-0786956289.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell (September 2010). Key of Stars. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 330. ISBN 978-0786956289.