The swamp covered, as of 1373 DR, an oblong area roughly 4000 square miles (6437.3 sq km.). The Swamp of Akhlaur was filled with cypress trees, moss and assortment of fauna including crocodiles and dangerous piranha. Unnatural creatures such as undead were also present.
The swamp was named for the famed conjurer Akhlaur who was believed that perished here when he was taken to the Elemental Plane of Water by a summoned laraken. The portal through which he disappeared remained open, allowing a constant flow of water to expand the swamp at a rate of an additional 100 ft. (30 m) per year.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Tom Prusa (1993). The Shining South. (TSR, Inc), pp. 11–12. ISBN 1-56076-595-X.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Karen Wynn Fonstad (August 1990). The Forgotten Realms Atlas. (TSR, Inc), p. 9. ISBN 978-0880388573.
- ↑ Thomas Reid (October 2004). Shining South. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 124. ISBN 0-7869-3492-1.
- ↑ Thomas Reid (October 2004). Shining South. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 126. ISBN 0-7869-3492-1.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 136. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.