An apostle of peace
|Apostle of Peace|
Source: Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 51-53
Apostles of peace are an unusual breed, forswearing violence and material possessions in favor of using their life to promote peace and nonviolent resolutions to conflict. An apostle possesses powerful access to divine magic, but his spells are aimed at healing, calming hostilities, and aiding allies.
Though apostles of peace come from all walks of life, former barbarians, fighters, and rogues are rare: they have understandable difficulty with the vows of nonviolence and peace required for the class, and several of the required skills are cross-class for them. Paladins are even rarer: their very being requires them to go out and fight evil. Clerics, bards, and druids sometimes gravitate towards this class, but any character could conceivably convert to pacifism and become apostles of peace.
Apostles of peace are usually solitary wanderers or even hermits. Many apostles are far removed from the violent struggles of the adventuring life, but may serve as resources of knowledge, spells, or spiritual guidance for adventurers.
Apostle of Peace AbilitiesEdit
- Weapon and armor Proficiencies
- Apostles of peace gain no proficiencies, and are unable to wear armor without losing access to their spells. They can, however, wear protective magic items. (Note however that the Vow of Poverty, required for this prestige class, forbids the ownership or wearing of magic items, allowing only the use of potions carried by other party members.)
- Apostles of peace have a unique spellcasting list. Their spells are Wisdom-based, and are prepared and cast like a cleric's. The caster level is equal to their class level plus ½ their caster level in any other spellcasting classes.
- Spontaneous Casting
- Like good-aligned clerics, apostles can spontaneously cast a healing spell in place of a prepared spell of the same level.
- Turn Undead
- Apostles can turn undead like good-aligned clerics and paladins. Their apostolic turning level stacks with their turning level in other classes, if applicable.
- Pacifying Touch
- 2nd level apostles can pacify hostile or angry creatures by touch. Similar to a calm emotions spell, this effect suppresses any negative emotions (no save or spell resistance). This ability also works against mind-affecting spells.
- Censure Fiends
- Much like turning undead, this ability enables an apostle to stun evil outsiders. If the apostle's character level is at least twice the HD of an outsider, said outsider is banished to its home plane. Censure fiend attempts are separate from turn undead attempts.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), p. 51. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- ↑ James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), p. 52. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), pp. 49–51. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.