|This article or section is about elements from the Neverwinter Nights series of games.
Video games are considered canon unless they contradict content in some other Forgotten Realms publication.
|This article or section contains Dungeons & Dragons gameplay mechanics in violation of the "no crunch" rule.
Please help improve this article by removing the relevant information or rewriting it so as to reflect an in-universe perspective.
|NWN2Wiki has an article about|
Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep.
Arcane scholars of Candlekeep seek to raise the study of magic to the level of an academic discipline. Their interest is not in researching new spells or finding more specialized uses for their craft, but in understanding the fundamental processes of magic and the inner workings of the Weave, which is the fabric that underlies all magic.
The first arcane scholars emerged from the dusty libraries of Candlekeep, where they pored through the writings of a thousand long-dead mages, seeking the unifying principles that underlie all magic. But even the archives of Candlekeep have their limits, and not all practitioners of magic have the means or desire to record their experiences with the Art. So arcane scholars dispersed into the wider world, observing and recording all the various expressions of magic they could find. Their tradition has gradually spread, and some mages who have never set foot in Candlekeep have adopted their disciplined and systematic approach to magic.
By gaining a deeper understanding of magic, and by discerning its underlying principles, arcane scholars become specialists in metamagic. Their spells are more powerful, last longer and can be cast more quickly than those of their peers. Arcane scholars have also become especially adept at explaining the workings of magic to ordinary folk. Those who travel with arcane scholars gain the benefit of their considerable knowledge and are better able to avoid hostile magic.
Arcane scholars do not limit themselves to studying particular sorts of arcane magic. To truly understand the Art, they believe that one must understand all its expressions. Thus all arcane casters are equally welcome to join their fellowship. Indeed, the insights of sorcerers and bards are particularly prized by arcane scholars, as such casters rarely have the patience to discuss the deeper workings of magic.
Arcane scholar abilitiesEdit
- When an arcane scholar gains a level, he gains new spells per day (and spells known) as if he had gained a level in whichever arcane spellcasting class gave him access to 3rd level spells.
- Maximize Spell
- An arcane scholar gains Maximize Spell as a bonus feat. If he already has this feat, he can choose another metamagic feat in its place.
- Spell Knowledge
- Because of their extensive study of magic, 2nd level arcane scholars gain a boost to their ability to evade or resist hostile spells. They also teach this advantage to their allies. This boost is doubled at 8th level.
- Improved Empower Spell
- 3rd level arcane scholars develop extreme skill at empowering spells; an empowered spell now uses a spell slot only one level higher than the basic spell (normally it is two levels higher).
- Quicken Spell
- A 5th level arcane scholar learns to cast his spells instantaneously, making it invulnerable to disruption. If he already has this feat, he can choose another metamagic feat in its place.
- Improved Maximize Spell
- By the time an arcane scholar reaches 7th level, he has improved his ability to maximize spells so far that such a spell only uses a slot two levels higher than the basic spell (normally it is three levels higher).
- Improved Quicken Spell
- A 10th level arcane scholar can cast his quickened spells using a slot only three levels higher than the basic spell (normally it takes a slot four levels higher).