Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal is an expansion pack for the computer role-playing game Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and is the final chapter in the Baldur's Gate series. It adds one large optional bonus area to the Baldur's Gate II game: Watcher's Keep, a multi-level dungeon of sorts.
War breaks out throughout Tethyr between the agitated Bhaalspawn who turn out to be numerous and fight each other for power. The player must venture through treacherous regions, including the besieged city of Saradush, the Fire Giant-controlled Marching Mountains and the desert village of Amkethran. Five legendary Bhaalspawn, each so powerful that they are impervious to normal weapons, rise to power and notoriety, forcing the player character to defeat them either for personal glory or for the fate of Tethyr. The player comes a long way from his or her humble beginnings in Candlekeep. Ultimately, the player must vanquish all competitors and be presented with the choice of ascending the throne of Bhaal and becoming the new God of Murder, or destroying it and returning to peaceful life as a mortal. The main character may also ascend the throne of Bhaal and banish Bhaal’s evil essence, becoming a deity dedicated to good and righteousness.
The Five Bhaalspawn destroying Amn and attempting to fulfill the prophecy are:
- An elven fighter/mage with a lot of bravado. She is the first Bhaalspawn the player character encounters in the expansion pack.
- A Fire Giant besieging the city of Saradush with his army. He would be invulnerable but for an Achilles' heel in which the player character has sooner or later to solve in a series of quests which involve destroying his heart to render him vulnerable but no less fearsome.
- A drow cleric/mage. The player character does not get the chance to draw swords against her immediately but must encounter wave after wave of attacks while plundering her lair.
- A half-dragon of great power. The player character has to first kill his son, Draconis, outside Abazigal’s lair before setting up a meeting with him.
- A good monk of immense power, who feels the only way to destroy the curse of Bhaal is to become the only Bhaalspawn left, and then end his own life.
With the installation of the game, a number of special abilities become available to high-level Baldurs Gate II characters. Most of those available for mages and sorcerers are 10th-level spells. These can only be gained by reaching a new level above 19th, whereupon the spellcaster can choose one spell (or other ability) each time. As there is no way to gain spell slots of level above 9th in the 2nd-edition based game system of the Baldur's Gate series, these 10th-level spells are memorized and used as 9th-level spells, adding considerably to a sorcerer's list of known high-level spells. They are, however, designed to be distinctly more powerful than 9th-level spells. None of them belongs to any particular school of magic.
These spells are:
- Comet - a more powerful, instantaneous version of meteor swarm.
- Dragon's breath – a vastly more powerful version of fireball.
- Energy blades – creates magical throwing discs.
- Improved alacrity - allows casting of several spells in a round.
- Summon planetar / summon dark planetar - summons a planetar or an evil version.
- Official Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal site
- TeamBG - Baldur's Gate Modding site
- Spellhold Studios - Baldur's Gate Modding site
- Wiki for the Baldur's Gate serie
Tales of the Sword Coast • Enhanced Edition • Siege of Dragonspear
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Throne of Bhaal • Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Dark Alliance series
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II