- "A dark aura of power surrounds this high humanoid with huge bat wings. Flames glow around his skin. It wields a lightning vorpal sword on one hand, and a many tailed whip on the other."
- "Balors are creatures of great power, and they are one of the most terrible creatures of the Abyss. They rule as generals over demonic armies. They are the masters of plotting to gain power and destroy the innocent. Even among their own kind, balors are feared, as they motivate their kindred to spread terror and misery."
- "A balor's height is about 12 feet tall. Its skin is usually dark red. It weighs like 4,500 pounds."
Balors love to join battle armed with their swords and whips. If they face stiff resistance, they may teleport away to loose a few spell-like effects at the foe. A balor’s +1 flaming whip is a long, flexible weapon with many tails tipped with hooks, spikes, and balls. The weapon deals bludgeoning and slashing damage, in addition to fire damage. A balor’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
- The demon Errtu, archenemy of the Companions of the Hall and long time seeker of the artifact Crenshinibon, is a major antagonist in the Icewind Dale trilogy and Legacy of the Drow series.
- The demon Chare'en was part of the Army of Darkness that attacked Myth Drannor. He raised a huge gnoll army in the Thunder Peaks, before being defeated and imprisoned. He is the main villain of the novel The Glass Prison.
- The demon Wendonai is the Champion of Lolth. He was sent to corrupt the Ilythiiri and later the Drow. He came back in the novel series Lady Penitent and became the tool to kill the goddess Eilistraee.
- In the non-canon CRPG Neverwinter Nights 2, The balor Baalbisan was one of the demons of Ammon Jerro's Haven. After the trespassing of Kalach-Cha he was released by Shandra Jerro.
Balor are living engines of destruction. They are demons wreathed in flesh and fire; true nightmares to behold. These huge demons slay living creatures and demons alike with impunity, desiring nothing more than to destroy anything and everything they see with wanton abandon. In the rare instances when demons amass an army, balors act as the generals of the demonic hordes.
Even the gods fear the sheer amount of destruction a single balor can inflict. Many of these creatures have been sealed away in divinely crafted prisons far below the surface of the world or hidden in extradimensional spaces.
Occasionally, a new balor will erupt from the Abyss when a great number of mortals are slain all at once. Few are willing to truly slay a balor, for the deed may cost a hero their own life. When a balor dies, its body erupts with chaotic energy, destroying everything around it with explosive fury.
A balor appears to be a massive demon, standing well over 14 feet tall and weighing 4,500 pounds. They have bestial heads crowned with jagged horns and a pair of bat-like wings adorned with rows of spines and spikes. Their entire body is wreathed with burning fire. Balors always carry a pair of weapons: a lightning bolt-shaped sword and a flaming whip used to capture victims and drag them into the flames generated by the demon’s body.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5, p. 40-41. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
Dybbuk • Caligrosto • Guecubu • Manitou
Draudnu • Ekolid • Golothoma • Laghathti • Sibriex • Uzollru • Verakia
Alkilith • Armanite • Anzu • Arrow demon • Babau • Balor • Bar-lgura • Cerebrilith • Chasme • Glabrezu • Goristro • Hezrou • Immolith • Jarilith • Jovoc • Kastighur • Kelvezu • Klurichir • Lilitu • Mane • Marilith • Maurezhi • Molydeus • Myrmyxicus • Nabassu • Nalfeshnee • Orlath • Palrethee • Rutterkin • Skurchur • Sorrowsworn demon • Turagathshnee • Uridezu • Vathugu • Vrock
Arcanaloth • Battleloth • Canoloth • Corruptor of fate • Dergholoth • Echinoloth • Gacholoth • Guardian daemon • Hellwasp devil • Hydroloth • Marraenoloth • Mezzoloth • Nycaloth • Piscoloth • Raavasta • Skeroloth • Ultroloth • Voor • Yagnoloth
Abyssal drake • Abyssal eviscerator • Abyssal maw • Abyssal ravager • Abyssal rotfiend • Abyssal skulker • Artaaglith • Bebilith • Bloodseep demon • Broodswarm • Dretch • Ghour • Gnaw demon • Kazrith • Malgodemon • Needle demon • Neldrazu • Pod demon • Quasit • Retriever • Ruin Demon • Runespiral demon • Rupture demon • Shadow demon • Skulvyn • Wastrilith • Yochlol • Zovvut