|This article or section includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations.
You can improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
A banishment spell was a more powerful version of the dismissal spell. It enabled the caster to force extraplanar creatures out of his home plane. The number and power of creatures that could be banished increased with the power of the caster. To target a creature, the caster had to present at least one object or substance that the target hated, feared, or otherwise opposed. Each such object or substance made it more likely the caster would overcome the target's spell resistance. For example, if this spell were cast on a demon that hated light and was vulnerable to holy water and iron weapons, the caster might use iron, holy water, and a torch in the spell.
If the target was banished in its native plain it was sent to a harmless demiplane, and if the spell wasn't broken within a minute the creature would remain in its native plain.
An item the target found distasteful. 
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211,217. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ Kim Mohan ed. (2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 133. ISBN 978-0786965809.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell, Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, Jeff Quick (October 2003). Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 53. ISBN 0-7869-3053-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 89–90. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (August 2000). Player's Handbook 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 195. ISBN 0-7869-1551-4.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 182–183. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 185. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ Barry A. A. Dillinger (May 1996). “The Dimensional Wizard”. In Pierce Watters ed. Dragon #229 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 50–52.
- ↑ Dale Donovan (January 1998). Cult of the Dragon. (TSR, Inc), pp. 125–126. ISBN 0-7869-0709-6.
- ↑ Sam Witt (January 1994). The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. (TSR, Inc), p. 126. ISBN 978-1560768289.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (August 2000). Player's Handbook 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 203. ISBN 0-7869-1551-4.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 217. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.