|Wikipedia has an article about:|
Bats are a group of wild, flying mammals of generally small size that feed on other small mammals, insects, reptiles, or fruit. Although the majority of bats are small, a few larger varieties exist. Bats are almost all nocturnal.
Most bats are roughly the size of a small bird although larger bats exist. All bats are adept at perceiving their surroundings in the dark though the precise mechanics differ from species, with most bats using a form of blindsight, shadowhunter bats using darkvision, and fire bats projecting light around them.
There are many varieties of unusual bat species, some of which are listed below.
- Magical bats of the Underdark.
- Deep bat (draghazar)
- Very large and dangerous bats native to the Underdark.
- Dire bat
- Enormous bats with a wingspan of roughly eight to nine feet.
- Fire bat
- An unusually large bat native to the elemental planes.
- Shadowhunter bat
- A type of large, predatory bat touched with the power of the Shadowfell or Plane of Shadow.
- Sea bats native to the underground port at Skullport. 
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 268–269. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 27. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet and Monte Cook (October 2000). Monster Manual 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 192. ISBN 0-7869-1552-1.
- ↑ Ari Marmell, Anthony Pryor, Robert J. Schwalb, Greg A. Vaughan (May 2007). Drow of the Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 113. ISBN 978-0-7869-4151-3.
- ↑ Elaine Cunningham (July 2003). Daughter of the Drow (Mass Market Paperback). (Wizards of the Coast), p. 157. ISBN 978-0786929290.
- ↑ Warning: edition not specified for Tangled Webs