Bats were a group of wild, flying mammals of generally small size that fed on other small mammals, insects, reptiles, or fruit. Although the majority of bats were small, a few larger varieties existed. Bats were almost all nocturnal.
Most bats were roughly the size of a small bird although larger bats existed. All bats were adept at perceiving their surroundings in the dark though the precise mechanics differed by species, with most bats using a form of blindsight, shadowhunter bats using darkvision, and fire bats projecting light around them.
There were many varieties of unusual bat species, some of which are listed below:
- Magical bats of the Underdark.
- Deep bat (draghazar)
- Very large and dangerous bats native to the Underdark.
- Dire bat
- Enormous bats with a wingspan of roughly eight to nine feet.
- Fire bat
- An unusually large bat native to the elemental planes.
- Shadowhunter bat
- A type of large, predatory bat touched with the power of the Shadowfell or Plane of Shadow.
- Sea bats native to the underground port at Skullport.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 15. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 318. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 268–269. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 27. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet and Monte Cook (October 2000). Monster Manual 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 192. ISBN 0-7869-1552-1.
- ↑ Ari Marmell, Anthony Pryor, Robert J. Schwalb, Greg A. Vaughan (May 2007). Drow of the Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 113. ISBN 978-0-7869-4151-3.
- ↑ Elaine Cunningham (July 2003). Daughter of the Drow (Mass Market Paperback). (Wizards of the Coast), p. 157. ISBN 978-0786929290.
- ↑ Warning: edition not specified for Tangled Webs