Source: Races of Faerûn
|“||If it moves, kill it.||”|
|— Battlerager maxim|
Battleragers are a type of dwarven fighter whose combat style relies on raw instinct, anger and physical strength. The individuals who practice this type of fighting are usually mentally unstable with a low life expectancy.
Despite this simple attitude, battleragers are a key element of dwarven warfare. Their almost suicidal style allows more strategic fighters to plan and execute more complex techniques, on already worn down enemies.
The close combat battlerager style means that all dwarves who practice it must be immensely strong and durable. Battleragers usually focus only on what they need to fight and survive, this has lead to individuals with poor personal hygeine.
Battlerager armor is usually thick and spiked. This armor in incorporated into the fighting style of the battlerager. Most battleragers cover their entire bodies in tattoos and symbols, any skin left bare will be covered in war paint before battle.
Battleragers worship the dwarven gods of war and many believe they channel their god's spirit in battle. Battleragers are also under the impression that if they die in battle, their gods will resurrect them with increased strength. These beliefs allow battleragers to fully immerse themselves into combat, as they have no fear of death.
The infamous battlerager fighting style relies on individuals immersing themselves completely into battle, relying only on instinct and aggression.
Once in battle these dwarves become almost animal like, their eyes bulge, their teeth grind and drool flicks from their mouths and beards. Battleragers are taught to use their whole bodies in combat, incorporating their spike armor, which allows them to deal fatal blows with a barge, kick or even headbutt.
Some guilds of battleragers have taken to riding dire wolves into battle.
Battleragers are formed into guilds, these small groups are very exclusive and members live on the outskirts of dwarf settlements.
Although considered brave by their kin, most battleragers are outcasts, rarely engaging in conversation with other dwarves. Children are kept away from battleragers, due to their aggressive nature and short temper.
- Gutbuster Brigade
- A guild of battleragers in Mithral Hall who specialized in using their spiked armor in combat.
- Wilddwarf Brigade
- A guild of battleragers in Citadel Adbar.
- Thibbledorf Pwent
- The leader of the Gutbuster Brigade.
- The leader of the Wilddwarf Brigade.
- Oretheo Spikes
- Member of the Wilddwarf Brigade.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Reynolds, Forbeck, Jacobs, Boyd (March 2003). Races of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 178. ISBN 0-7869-2875-1.
- ↑ Reynolds, Forbeck, Jacobs, Boyd (March 2003). Races of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 20. ISBN 0-7869-2875-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 R.A. Salvatore (September 2014). Rise of the King. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 46. ISBN 0-7869-6515-0.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (March 2015). Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf. (Wizards of the Coast) ISBN 0-7869-6570-3.