|Black Isle Studios|
Black Isle Studios was a division of the PC and video game developer and publisher Interplay Entertainment, created specifically for the development of PC role-playing games. The division was formed during 1996, adopting the name "Black Isle Studios" during 1998. The idea for the division's name came from the Black Isle in Scotland - founder Feargus Urquhart's native country. Black Isle Studios was most famous for working on the Fallout, Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series of PC role-playing games, though it only published the Baldur's Gate series.
In 1998, several key members responsible for the division's first title, Fallout, left Interplay to form Troika Games. On December 8, 2003, in the midst of serious financial difficulties, Interplay laid off the entire Black Isle Studios staff., filing bankruptcy on June 2, 2004. By then, most members had moved on to found Obsidian Entertainment.
Until last, Black Isle Studios worked on new innovative games, such as Fallout 3 (Codename: Van Buren) and Black Isle's Torn.
- Fallout (1997)
- Fallout 2 (1998)
- Planescape: Torment (1999)
- Icewind Dale (2000)
- Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (2001)
- Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster (2001)
- Icewind Dale II (2002)
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (2004)
Among the products whose development Black Isle assisted are:
- Baldur's Gate (1998)
- Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)
- Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (2001)
- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (2003)
Two compilations bearing their name were also released:
- Black Isle Compilation (2002)
- Black Isle Compilation Part Two (2004)
- ↑ Cheong, Ian. Game Info. Lionheart Chronicles. GameSpy. Retrieved on July 25 2006.
- ↑ Keefer, John (January 2001). Black Isle Studios: We are not BioWare. GameSpy. Retrieved on July 25 2006.
- ↑ Blancato, Joe. The Rise and Fall of Troika. The Escapist. Retrieved on March 27 2007.
- ↑ Thorsen, Tor (2003-12-08). Interplay shuts down Black Isle Studios. GameSpot. Retrieved on May 1 2006.
- ↑ Black Isle Studios Website. Interplay. Archived from the original on 2003-06-04. Retrieved on July 25 2006.
- GameSpot: "Interplay shuts down Black Isle Studios" (8 December 2003)
- Black Isle Studios profile on MobyGamesen:Black Isle Studios