Blink was a transmutation spell caused the caster to "blink" randomly between the Prime Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane, similar to a blink dog. This made the caster harder to attack, since there is a chance an attack or spell will miss due to the caster not being on the Prime Material Plane at the time.
The caster could attempt to move through solid objects on the Prime Material Plane while blinked onto the Ethereal Plane, however, if the caster materialised in the same location as a solid object, he or she become "shunted" to the nearest available empty space, and this caused damage.
The later sundering version of the spell worked much in the same way but it seam to allow movement of only 10 feet, the caster could see and hear to the prime for only 60 feet but in shades of gray. Wile on the ethereal plane the caster could not interact with creatures on the prime, only with those that connect to the ethereal plane. If no unoccupied space is found within 10 feet when the caster was to return the caster would be randomly be placed to the nearest unoccupied area.
Only verbal and somatic where needed for the casting.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211, 219. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 63. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 206. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 147. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ Barry A. A. Dillinger (May 1996). “The Dimensional Wizard”. In Pierce Watters ed. Dragon #229 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 50–52.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 184. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 219. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.