Boars were covered in thick fur, often brown or grayish in color. The exact size of a boar varied from species to species, from roughly human size to roughly the mass of an ogre or similarly sized creature. All varieties of boars were armed with sharp tusks that jutted out from beneath their snout and which were capable of causing serious injury. Boars also had a highly developed sense of smell.
Though not predatory by nature, boars were ill-tempered and territorial, a combination made worse by boars' powerful musculature and sharp tusks.
Boars usually traveled in groups known as sounders.
There were several species of boar, some of which are listed below.
- Dire boar
- Larger than usual boars with increased aggression.
- The domestic variant of boars, raised for livestock.
- Thunderfury boar
- The fey derivative of boars, which were far more ferocious than their Prime kin.
- ↑ Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 319. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 35. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet and Monte Cook (October 2000). Monster Manual 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 194. ISBN 0-7869-1552-1.