Brandeen was the common name in the Realms for a rare, fancy stone also known as the mineral stibiotantalite. They were typically worn by merchants and mid-level courtiers as a substitute for more expensive gemstones.
Brandeen was found in deposits that were usually honey-yellow to reddish-brown in hue, but often cloudy or opaque. The fancy stones were cut from areas where the raw mineral turned transparent, yielding small, hard, faceted gems. A typical specimen had a base value of 100 gp.
Powdered brandeen was a key ingredient in making a potion that cured deafness. The powdered mineral was mixed with fresh hardwood sap and then a message spell was cast upon it, the message being made up of only vowel sounds. The potion had to be consumed within twenty-four hours or it spoiled. Likewise, it spoiled if exposed to sunlight.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ed Greenwood (April 1983). “Gems Galore”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #72 (TSR, Inc.), p. 18.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), pp. 136–137. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd (1996). Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. (TSR, Inc), pp. 126–127. ISBN 0-7869-0446-1.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (April 1983). “Gems Galore”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #72 (TSR, Inc.), p. 19.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd (1996). Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. (TSR, Inc), p. 38. ISBN 0-7869-0446-1.