Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This does not cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this by introducing appropriate citations. If you are using this information for your own research, campaign or general interest, you should not rely on its accuracy.
Chromatic dragons were a type of dragon distinguished typically by a solid, non-reflective coloring of their scales, hence the name. Chromatic dragons were also very commonly evil.
- Black dragons
- Black dragons, or skull dragons, were the most vile-tempered and cruel of all chromatic dragons and possessed an acid breath weapon. They made their lairs in large caves or underground chambers next to swamps or murky ponds. A black dragon's diet consisted of fish, mollusks, aquatic critters, and some red meat from terrestrial animals.
- Blue dragons
- Blue dragons were orderly creatures and were unusual for chromatics in that they kept fairly well-ordered, hierarchical societies. They were more likely to be mocking and manipulative than outrightly cruel or murderous to "lesser" creatures, aided greatly by their natural talents for hallucination. They were infamous for tricking desert travelers into drinking sand or going miles out of their way to avoid nonexistent dust basins. Its breath weapon was lightning or a large electrical charge.
- Brown dragons
- Brown dragons, also called great desert dragons, were wingless dragons with acid breath weapons. A brown dragon typically laired in a large cave or underground chamber, deep under the desert sand.
- Green dragons
- Green dragons reveled in combat, and would often attack for no apparent reason. They were highly territorial, and would often view any intrusion into their domain, voluntary or not, as a personal affront. They were extremely cunning and duplicitous foes, and loved double-crossing others. A traveler who stumbled into a green dragon's territory might be able to bribe the dragon for safe passage, but more often than not the dragon would pretend to agree and then attack the unsuspecting offender once his or her guard was down. Their breath weapon was a cloud of green poisonous gas.
- Red dragons
- Red dragons were covetous, evil creatures, interested only in their own well-being, vanity, and the extension of their treasure hoards. They were supremely confident of their own abilities and are prone to making snap decisions without any forethought. Red dragons were the most powerful of the chromatic dragons, and breathed a cone of fire.
- White dragons
- White dragons were the weakest and the most feral of the classic chromatic dragons, but they were by no means stupid or harmless. They were still powerful enough to overwhelm most humans and had exceptional long-term memories. Adult white dragons had several abilities well-suited to their arctic habitat: they could climb ice cliffs with ease, fly very high and fast, and were exceptional swimmers. They loved to swim in cold water; the more frigid, the better. They breathed a cone of ice or frost.
- Metallic dragon, a group of goodly dragon subraces.
- Gem dragon, a group of insular dragons who usually live on alternate planes.
- ↑ Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 86–103. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 70. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 39. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.