Chromatic dragons are a type of dragon distinguished typically by a solid, non-reflective coloring of their scales as well, hence the name. Chromatic dragons are also very commonly evil.
- Black dragons
- Black dragons, or skull dragons, are the most vile-tempered and cruel of all chromatic dragons and possess an acid breath weapon. They make their lairs in large caves or underground chambers next to swamps or murky ponds. A black dragon's diet consists of fish, mollusks, aquatic critters and some red meat from terrestrial animals.
- Blue dragons
- Blue dragons are orderly creatures and are unusual for chromatics in that they keep fairly well-ordered, hierarchical societies. They are more likely to be mocking and manipulative than outrightly cruel or murderous to "lesser" creatures, aided greatly by their natural talents for hallucination. They are infamous for tricking desert travelers into drinking sand or going miles out of their way to avoid nonexistent dust basins. Its breath weapon is lightning or a large electrical charge.
- Brown dragons
- Brown dragons, also called great desert dragons, are wingless dragons with acid breath weapons. A brown dragon typically lairs in a large cave or underground chamber, deep under the desert sand.
- Green dragons
- Green dragons revel in combat, and will often attack for no apparent reason. They are highly territorial, and will often view any intrusion into their domain, voluntary or not, as a personal affront. They are extremely cunning and duplicitous foes, and love double-crossing others. A traveler who stumbles into a green dragon's territory might be able to bribe the dragon for safe passage, but more often than not the dragon will pretend to agree and then attack the unsuspecting offender once his or her guard is down. Their breath weapon is a cloud of green poisonous gas.
- Red dragons
- Red dragons are covetous, evil creatures, interested only in their own well-being, vanity and the extension of their treasure hoards. They are supremely confident of their own abilities and are prone to making snap decisions without any forethought. Red dragons are the most powerful of the chromatic dragons, and breathe a cone of fire.
- White dragons
- White dragons are the weakest and the most feral of the classic chromatic dragons, but they are by no means stupid or harmless. They are still powerful enough to overwhelm most humans and have exceptional long-term memories. Adult white dragons have several abilities well-suited to their arctic habitat: they can climb ice cliffs with ease, fly very high and fast, and are exceptional swimmers. They love to swim in cold water; the more frigid, the better. They breathe a cone of ice or frost.
- Metallic dragon, a group of goodly dragon subraces.
- Gem dragon, a group of insular dragons who usually live on alternate planes.
- ↑ Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 86–103. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 70. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 39. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.