Create direguard was a divine magic spell available to clerics of Cyric, Prince of Madness. It animated a direguard out of an intact skeleton. Other ways of creating a direguard were discovered, but this spell was specific to Cyric and a jealously guarded secret.
This spell took one minute to cast and the cleric had to touch the skeleton that was to be animated. Upon completion, flames of red ignited in the skeleton's eye sockets and the direguard rose ready to attack, wearing armor that was shadowy black but with the bones visible through it.
This spell was an improved version of the create baneguard spell used by priests of Bane, the Black Hand. Eventually other evil faiths learned this spell or a variant of it, and it was often called just create undead, although the caster who wanted to create a direguard had to be more experienced than a caster that could just learn create baneguard.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Julia Martin, Eric L. Boyd (March 1996). Faiths & Avatars. (TSR, Inc), p. 54. ISBN 978-0786903849.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 17. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.
- ↑ Richard Baker, Ed Bonny, Travis Stout (February 2005). Lost Empires of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 162. ISBN 0-7869-3654-1.
- ↑ Greenwood, Martin, Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition (revised), Monstrous Compendium. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 1-5607-6617-4.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Richard Baker, Ed Bonny, Travis Stout (February 2005). Lost Empires of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 162–163. ISBN 0-7869-3654-1.