Great wizards and sorcerers usually became liches in order to continue their pursuit of magic and power beyond death. Demiliches were those who were close to reaching the end of their arcane journey; who understood the nature of magic and reality in a way no mortal could conceive.
Becoming a demilichEdit
A lich became a demilich when they no longer needed to be continually tied to a body. The lich must somehow learn the art of creating soul gems and replace eight small pieces of its body with them. Often the soul gems became jeweled eyes and teeth in the lich's skull, but they could also become joints in a hand, or discs in the lich's spine. Once the power of the lich was focused in one part of its body, the rest of its skeleton crumbled away. The part that remained contains the soul gems; the eight gems acted as the demilich's phylacteries.
- Alsigard the Maker
- Ander, Netherese wizard of Thyndlamdrivvar
- Shoon VII, former emperor of the Shoon Empire, possessing Zallanora Argentresses
- Wulgreth, the original Netherese wizard
- Ythazz Buvaar, former Zulkir, and one of the founders of modern Thay
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 48. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Andy Collins, Bruce R. Cordell (July 2002). Epic Level Handbook. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 174–177. ISBN 0-7869-2658-9.