Derro appeared to be some degenerate hybrid of dwarves and humans. Their rough skin was white with blue undertones and had sporadic tufts of coarse tan or pale blond hair. The eyes of the derro lacked any visible pupils.
Derro were widespread and were likely to be found in small bands throughout the Underdark. Derro warrens existed in many drow and duergar cities; independent derro strongholds lay in the deepest reaches of the Underdark. Derro scouts and marauders searched the areas around their settlements for victims to enslave and torment.
The derro were a strange and sadistic race. While clever and stealthy they were also murderously insane. It was very common for derro to devote themselves to some strange quest, such as collecting only certain types of gemstones or slaying as many members of a particular race as possible. Some derro were assigned specific missions by powerful derro savants, with the possibility that they might even join a company of comrades to fulfill some irrational goal. It should be noted that derro, despite their insanity, still retain the natural knack for inventiveness shown in dwarves. An example of this is the repeater crossbow, which the derro may have invented.
- Buppido, a cunning and insane killer who believed to be the incarnation of the derro god Diinkarazan.
- Realms of the Underdark: "The Fires of Narbondel"
- Condemnation (Mentioned only)
- Storm of the Dead
- Venom in Her Veins
- Video games
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Christopher Perkins, Adam Lee, Richard Whitters (September 1, 2015). Out of the Abyss. In Jeremy Crawford ed. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 224. ISBN 978-0-7869-6581-6.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 49. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 221. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Tim Pratt (March 2012). Venom in Her Veins Kindle Edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. Kindle 2983. ISBN 0786959843.
- ↑ Tim Pratt (March 2012). Venom in Her Veins Kindle Edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. Kindle 3216. ISBN 0786959843.
- ↑ Christopher Perkins, Adam Lee, Richard Whitters (September 1, 2015). Out of the Abyss. In Jeremy Crawford ed. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 6. ISBN 978-0-7869-6581-6.