|This requires cleanup.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page and improve it if you can.
Marked from birth with strange runes by Shar, Despayr was quickly ostracized by both his mother Skurge and sister Tyra. The young dragon was forced to live a solitary existence amid the other denizens of the Vast Swamp until he received a shadowy vision teaching him to turn the curse of his birth into a powerful tool.
Despayr took up the offer of the visions and began to follow Shar's will. With the visions as his guide, he eventually learned to breathe a cloud of shadowstuff consisting of many dark shards. Additionally, he learned of his potential to create a tear in the Weave. As he followed these visions, he gained in power and abilities. Soon his visions shared with him his sister's fate at the hands of the Dragonslayer tribe of Lizardfolk, a tribe he swiftly defeated and enslaved when he settled into Tyra's unguarded lair. Not long after this, Despayr was met by Esvele Greycastle, who, after easily rebuffing his attempts to destroy her, did not slay him, but revealed to him Shar's hand in the visions he had been following. Pulling a Shadow shard from Despayr's newly-gained hoard, Esvele schooled the dragon in the artifact's use and how to use the shard to transform creatures into shadowslain. With this new knowledge, Despayr accepted Esvele's plan to use him and the shadow shard to tear of hole in the weave. While bringing much of the Vast Swamp under his control, Despayr discovered the Lost Refuge containing the Dusk Lord's Passageand using the portal, relocated his lair to the Black Rift on the Plane of Shadow.
Despayr looked much like other black dragons of his age, bearing the distinctive curling horns and dark scales of its kin. However, Despayr was marked with numerous purple glowing runes all over his body.. These markings were supposedly a gift from Shar that marked even the interior surface of the egg he hatched from.
Despayr had a unique ability to expel a gout of shadowy shards instead of the usual acid of other black dragons. These shards would open dry wounds over a person's body and sap life from them. Additionaly as part of his marked birth, Despayr was unable to cast spells.
In Dragons of Faerûn a dragon also by the name of Despayr is listed in the Roll Call of Dragons as an Old female black dragon living in the Vast Swamp. However considering Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave is the more recent source it is considered an update to the former info.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Richard Baker, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan, Matthew Sernett, James Wyatt (2007). Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 112. ISBN 07-8694-119-7.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Richard Baker, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan, Matthew Sernett, James Wyatt (2007). Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 144. ISBN 07-8694-119-7.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Richard Baker, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan, Matthew Sernett, James Wyatt (2007). Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 146. ISBN 07-8694-119-7.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 148. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- ↑ James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (1994). Elminster's Ecologies (The Cormyrean Marshes). (TSR, Inc), p. 12. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.