|This article requires cleanup.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page and improve it if you can.
|This article or section includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations.
You can improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
Devils were a lawful evil race of fiends who hailed from the Nine Hells of Baator, a dominion of the Astral Sea ruled over by the god Asmodeus. True to their alignment, devils were locked into a strict hierarchy which culminated with the Lords of the Nine, the powerful rulers of the Hells.
Types of devilsEdit
There were many different kinds of devils, including some subcategories.
- The most common and numerous race of devils.
- Abishai were a subgroup of baatezu created by Tiamat.
- Imp- small, weak devils with bat-likes wings and a venomous, scorpion-like tail.
- Hellcat- also called bezekira, hellcats were massive, stealthy feline devils.
- Hellwasp devil- large, wasp-like devils with a hive mind and alien intelligence.
- Chain devil
- Fimbrul devil- icy, humanoid devils that could sap heat from living beings.
- Seared devil- humanoid devils that appeared horribly burned.
- Tar devil- humanoid, horned devils that oozed a tar-like substance from their skin.
Archdevils, also called the Lords of the Nine, were the the rulers of the devils and of Baator (the Nine Hells). They were each powerful, unique devils and were also archfiends.
Achaierai • Barghest • Demodand (Gehreleth) • Hell hound • Larva • Maelephant • Night hag • Nightmare • Rakshasa • Shadow mastiff • Vargouille • Yeth hound
Fey'ri • Fiendish creature • Half-fiend (Alu-fiend • Cambion • Draegloth • Durzagon) • Maeluth • Tanarukk • Tiefling
Least: Advespa • Lemure • Nupperibo
Lesser: Abishai • Barbazu • Hamatula • Malebranche • Spinagon
Greater: Amnizu • Cornugon • Erinyes • Gelugon • Osyluth • Pit fiend
Alu-fiend • Archdevil • Cambion • Duergar • Fimbrul devil • Hellcat • Hellwasp devil • Imp • Seared devil • Succubus • Tar devil