Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Esvele Greycastle was a human cleric of Shar and shadow adept. She was determined to fulfill her role as an exemplary worshiper of Shar. She was assigned to a secret temple in Urmlaspyr where she attempted to recruit new members to the church from the merchants of Sembia. Of more note were her later attempts to create Dead-magic zones in Cormyr and Shadowdale.
Esvele was of slim build and average height for her kind. She had curly brown hair down to her waist and amber eyes. She kept her emotions well guarded and only displayed those on her face that she wished to be known.
In Lords of Darkness (3rd edition, 2001), Esvele is written as having 8 levels of cleric of Shar and 5 levels of shadow adept. However, in Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land (3.5 edition, 2007), she is written as having 13 levels of cleric of Shar alone.
Esvele was the middle daughter of a merchant family in Chondath. When her parents slumped into poverty after some poor trading decisions, they were approached by the clergy of the Church of Shar who offered them a substantial sum in gold for the purchase of thirteen-year-old Esvele. Her parents accepted this offer and she was then raised to adulthood in the church.
Tearing the WeaveEdit
In 1374 DR Esvele was placed in charge of a plan to create a dead-magic zone over the Vast Swamp. She instructed the mutant black dragon Despayr as to what Shar's plans were so that he could fulfill them while she moved on to a new project. She also trained a shadar-kai sorcerer in the use of the Shadow Weave in the hopes that he would train more of his kind.
Scouring of ShadowdaleEdit
Later in the year, Esvele introduced Alokkair the wizard-king to an emissary of Telamont Tanthul, named Nayiiara Darhoun. The Lich allowed Esvele to create a temple to Shar beneath his lair in exchange for the Netherese knowledge Nayiiara bestowed him. It was in this lair that Esvele completed the Rite of Unwinding which created an expanding area that supressed the Weave over the entire dale. Her then Zhentarim allies, who had conquered the dale, had mixed feelings about her ritual. The Rite of Unwinding prevented the Chosen of Mystra from interfering with their occupation of Shadowdale but it also impaired their own spellcasting unless they converted their magic to Shadow Magic. Regardless, in 1375, adventurers, who would later go on to help free Shadowdale from the occupying Zhent army, slew Esvele and then reversed the ritual making magic function normally in the dale once more thus cutting short the career of a promising young priestess.
- ↑ Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid (July 2007). Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 124. ISBN 07-8694-039-5.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sean K. Reynolds, Jason Carl (November 2001). Lords of Darkness. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 124. ISBN 0-7869-1989-2.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid (July 2007). Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 76. ISBN 07-8694-039-5.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Sean K. Reynolds, Jason Carl (November 2001). Lords of Darkness. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 125. ISBN 0-7869-1989-2.
- ↑ Richard Baker, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan, Matthew Sernett, James Wyatt (2007). Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 157–158. ISBN 07-8694-119-7.
- ↑ Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid (July 2007). Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 49. ISBN 07-8694-039-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid (July 2007). Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 61. ISBN 07-8694-039-5.