Faerzress and drow culture Edit
Faerzress was a Drow word, and it played a major role in drow city planning. Drow sought out areas with strong faerzress to build their cities and outposts in to keep others from scrying their doings or teleporting inside the city. Drow also used faerzress to create magical artifacts.
Effects on magic Edit
Faerzress could affect magic and spellcasting in unpredictable ways, in some ways like wild magic. Although the knowledge of faerzress among surface-dwellers was sparse, it was known to mainly affect divination and conjuration spells, making teleporting by magic in the Underdark a risky effort.
Some areas in the Underdark had stronger faerzress emanations than others. For example, Zz'Pzora's Lair outside of Menzoberranzan had very strong emanations which Liriel Baenre was able to capture in the Windwalker amulet to carry drow magic to the surface.
Effects on plantlife Edit
Since the Underdark lacked food or light for plant life and fungi, many plants and fungi that are found underground found ways to live on a diet of faerzress.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Bruce R. Cordell, Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel, Jeff Quick (October 2003). Underdark. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 48. ISBN 0-7869-3053-5.
- ↑ James Wyatt (September 2002). City of the Spider Queen. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 5. ISBN 0-7869-1212-X.
- ↑ Lisa Smedman (February 2005). Extinction. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 81. ISBN 0-7869-3596-0.
- ↑ Richard Baker (May 2003). Condemnation. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 19. ISBN 0786932023.
- ↑ Elaine Cunningham (July 2003). Daughter of the Drow (Mass Market Paperback). (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786929290.