Clerics of Baervan Wildwanderer, Brandobaris, Gwaeron Windstrom, Herne, Hoar, Ibrandul, Kelemvor, Lliira, Marthammor Duin, Mielikki, Myrkul, Oghma, Sehanine Moonbow, Selûne, Sharess, Shaundakul, Tyche, Tymora, Vhaeraun, and Waukeen were also sometimes granted this spell.
This spell granted the power of flight to the caster and in some cases a target. The effected being could fly as long as the caster held his or her concentration for at least three minutes and perhaps longer if the spellcaster was powerful enough..
The one effected by this spell could fly at a maximum speed of twelve miles (nineteen kilometers) per hour with good maneuverability. A subject carrying a medium or heavy load was slowed down by a third. One could gain or drop elevation at only half speed. Maintaining control only required as much thought as walking, so one could easily perform other actions, such as attacking or casting another spell, while flying.
If the spell wore off or was dispelled while the subject was in the air, he or she would not drop to the ground instantly; there would be some number of seconds of descent at a safe rate before plummeting. Flying into an antimagic field, however, would immediately cause the flyer to fall.
Proper casting of this spell required verbal and somatic components and the use of a spell focus. The focus could be the wing feather of any bird. Clerics who used this spell would instead use their holy symbol as a focus.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211,243. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 165. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 232. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 149. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 73. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 243. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 188. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.