|Type||Elemental humanoid (giant-kin)|
|Average Lifespan||250 yrs.|
|Homeland(s)||Cold, mountainous environments|
|Average Height||21'/6.4 m.(Male) - 19'10"/6.04 m.(Female)|
|Average Weight||2,400 lbs./1088.62 kg.(Male) - 1600 lbs./724.75 kg.(Female)|
|Hair Color||Blue or dirty yellow|
|Eye Color||Blue or dirty yellow|
|First Appearance||"Monster Manual 1st edition"|
Source: MM3.5, p. 122
Almost always evil creatures, these giants stand 15' (4.6m) tall and weigh around 2800lbs (1270kg). They have white skin and either blue or dirty yellow hair and wear skins or pelts, along with jewelery they own. Their eye color usually matches their hair color.
In combat, frost giants will hurl rocks and then close in with battleaxes. They are immune to cold, but particularly vulnerable to fire, and have low-light vision. Their power visual senses extend into a higher end of the visible spectrum, allowing them to see more easily through snow and blizzards than other creatures. They will take prisoners if possible.
These giants live up to 250 years in societies led by a "jarl" and often survive by means of hunts and raids, although are not below trading if the need arises. In frost giant society, the most important bond except that of the ordning is the family bond. The ordning is determined by a combination of the individual's ability to wrestle and boast. Communication in the community is through the use of speaking Jotunise and Jotun.
"Jarl" is the title used to describe the leader of a frost giant community. They are usually the most powerful in their tribe and usually have the best equipment.
Outside of the realmsEdit
Frost giants carry allot of the stereotypic image of the vikings such as the horned helmet the axe and the icy and snowy plains. They are also stereotypically raiders and survive mostly on raiding. Some words are from nordic languages such as:
Jarl (Earl) is a person of the royal family during the viking era who was next to take the throne and there was only one who held the title.
Skald is bard or poet in old Nordic languages.
Names like "Orelsdottr" are common Patronymic surnames that are used in Nordic countries this one means: "Daughter of Orel" or "Orels Daughter".
Notable frost giantsEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ray Winninger (August 1995). Giantcraft. (TSR, Inc), p. 19. ISBN 0-7869-0163-2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 122. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Ray Winninger (August 1995). Giantcraft. (TSR, Inc), p. 23. ISBN 0-7869-0163-2.
- ↑ Ray Winninger (August 1995). Giantcraft. (TSR, Inc), p. 25. ISBN 0-7869-0163-2.
- ↑ Ray Winninger (August 1995). Giantcraft. (TSR, Inc), p. 27. ISBN 0-7869-0163-2.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 123. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Ray Winninger (August 1995). Giantcraft. (TSR, Inc), p. 26. ISBN 0-7869-0163-2.
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skald