A glabrezu's broad, muscular body was as large as a giant. It had two pairs of arms: the small set was humanoid ending in hands, while the other set was monstrous and ended in a pair of crab-like pincers. Its canine head was horned and it had a muzzle full of sharp teeth. Its skin was in the range of deep russet to pitch black. Its intelligent eyes were violet. A glabrezu stood 9 to 15 feet tall and weighed 5,500 pounds.
PersonalityEditA glabrezu tempted its victims into ruin by luring them with power or wealth. Their imposing stature radiated authority and control, which they use to sway mortals into accepting their gifts .. . for a price. They used lies and deception to destroy the lives of all whom they meet.
Despite their physical prowess, glabrezus preferred to work behind the scenes, both on the Prime Material Plane and in the Abyss. They rarely led, but rather acted as advisors, chief lieutenants, and spies for more powerful demons. Every glabrezu had an impressive list of grudges, secret agendas, and long-term schemes, some of which took centuries or millennia to come to fruition.
Glabrezus did not offer pleasures of the flesh, but tempted their victims into ruin by luring them with offers of power, wealth, and respect undreamed of by even the most ambitious. They were unable to change, or polymorph, their frightening appearance, so they usually visit mortals in secret. They were most commonly summoned directly by a mortal, such as ambitious human wizards or drow priestesses who hoped to make a bargain. Sometimes they found potential victims on their own, presenting their 'gift' whether or not the recipient wanted it.
In 1485–1486 DR, glabrezus were among the demons that wandered the streets of Menzoberranzan and participated in the failed defense of Q'Xorlarrin against the dwarves. In that conflict, a glabrezu slew former king Connerad Brawnanvil.
- Passage to Dawn
- Master of Chains
- Extinction (mentioned)
- Farthest Reach
- The Crystal Mountain
- The Masked Witches
- Computer games
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Eric Cagle (2006-06-13). Winning Tactics Against Glabrezus. Tactics and Tips. Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved on 2012-01-19.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 53,58. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 54–55. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 43–44. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 18. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Frank Mentzer (January 1985). “Ay pronunseeAYshun gyd”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #93 (TSR, Inc.), p. 26.
- ↑ J. Paul LaFountain (1991). Monstrous Compendium: Outer Planes Appendix. In Timothy B. Brown ed. (TSR, Inc.), p. 5. ISBN 1-56076-055-9.
- ↑ Thomas M. Reid (March 2011). The Empyrean Odyssey. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 746–747. ISBN 0-7869-5768-9.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (September 2015). Archmage (Hardcover). (Wizards of the Coast), p. 9. ISBN 0-7869-6575-4.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (September 2015). Archmage (Hardcover). (Wizards of the Coast), chap. 18. ISBN 0-7869-6575-4.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (September 2015). Archmage (Hardcover). (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 17–18. ISBN 0-7869-6575-4.
- ↑ Lisa Smedman (February 2005). Extinction. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 28–29. ISBN 0-7869-3596-0.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (August 2008). Passage to Dawn. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786949113.
Caligrosto • Guecubu • Manitou
Alkilith • Arrow demon • Babau • Balor • Bar-lgura • Cerebrilith • Chasme • Glabrezu • Goristro • Hezrou • Immolith • Kastighur • Klurichir • Mane • Marilith • Maurezhi • Molydeus • Nalfeshnee • Orlath • Sorrowsworn demon • Succubus • Uridezu • Vrock • Yochlol
Bebilith • Dretch • Ghour • Kazrith • Quasit • Retriever • Shadow demon • Wastrilith • Yochlol