Gontal was ruled by Queen Imreera Hethkantan, who lived in the capital city. The Queen was a hands-off ruler who appeared to be more interested in sending expeditions to the Glaur Barrens than in actively ruling the land. The Twelvefold noble families held a large amount of power and some considered the families to be the true rulers of Gontal.
- Darkturret: A ruined castle built by one of the twelvefold to hide wealth stolen from the other families. The other families attacked and sacked Darkturret leaving it as a haunted ruin.
- Glaur Barrens: This wasteland was once the location of a mighty dawn titan citadel. Later, the landscape was a mix of earthmotes, plaguelands, and strange metallic ruins. Many adventurers and treasure hunters searched the barrens for precious metals.
- Gontal City: This crowded city of 30,000 was the capital of Gontal.
- Szant: This port city was known primarily for its fishing fleet.
- Velandilmur: This large town was a haven for outcasts and outlaws.
Prior to the Spellplague, a huge metallic fortress erected by a dawn titan (primordial) stood in northern Gontal, which caused both dragons and humanoids to avoid the area. When the Spellplague sent Returned Abeir to Toril, the fortress exploded creating an area known as the Glaur Barrens.
- Queen Imreera Hethkantan
- The Twelvefold: A set of families that include the Clargannuth, Elkannath, Garrandar, Imrilsar, Keldorn, and Morlith.
- Larrana Vestel
- Mortyn Wahrandur
- Narla Gulmaern
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Bruce R. Cordell & Ed Greenwood (August 2008). “Gontal”. Dragon #366 (Wizards of the Coast).
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell (May 2009). “Gontal: Dominions of Nehu”. Dragon #375 (Wizards of the Coast).