The settlement of Ongul's Water lay in a wooden valley on the northwest side of the wood. Some of the braver folk hunted in Hermit's Wood, and worked as guides to visitors, but knew much less about the forest than they let on.
The ghost of a gray-cloaked or gray-robed old man with a lantern that shone with an unnatural blue- or azure-colored light was said to haunt the wood, appearing at night under a full moon. However, it was hard to find anyone who claimed to have seen it with their own eyes, despite the regular human presence there. Many wondered at the ghost's origin, and whether it even existed or not. The most popular story was that the ghost was of the hermit, who supposedly met some dreadful and unnatural end there, and that the cause might yet lie somewhere in the wood. Some attributed the lack of habitation to this, claiming non-humans had the good sense or instinct not to live there. Again, no actual incidents were ever recorded. Skeptics said it was all fiction, or the sighting of will-o'-the-wisps.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Eric Haddock (1994). Cormyr. (TSR, Inc), pp. 7, map. ISBN 1-56076-818-5.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Ed Greenwood, Julia Martin, Jeff Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition (revised), A Grand Tour of the Realms. (TSR, Inc), p. 50. ISBN 1-5607-6617-4.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Richard Baker, Bruce R. Cordell, David Noonan, Matthew Sernett, James Wyatt (2007). Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 151, 152. ISBN 07-8694-119-7.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Ed Greenwood (July 1995). Volo's Guide to Cormyr. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 78. ISBN 0-7869-0151-9.
- ↑ James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (1994). Elminster's Ecologies (The Settled Lands). (TSR, Inc), p. 12. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (July 1995). Volo's Guide to Cormyr. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 79. ISBN 0-7869-0151-9.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (1994). Elminster's Ecologies (Coastal Aquatic Lands: The Sea of Fallen Stars). (TSR, Inc), pp. 11–12. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.