Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The summoned insects blanketed the area of effect, biting and stinging every creature relentlessly, reducing visibility down to 10 ft (3 m), and preventing all spellcasting. Armor did not protect and invisibility was useless to avoid the swarms. Small creatures and anything with failing morale would move at top speed in a random direction until they were well away from the plague. The insects did not pursue fleeing targets but remained in the spot they were summoned for the duration of the spell. Sustained large fires and smoke, or strong winds were effective in driving the insects away but a blast from a fireball would only clear an area briefly.
Newer versions of this spell require only verbal and somatic components plus the priest's divine focus or holy symbol. Older versions also required a pinch of sugar, a few kernels of grain, and a smear of fat.
- ↑ For some unknown reason, this spell is listed as being in the Combat sphere in both versions of the 2nd edition player's handbook and the Tome of Magic 2nd edition. Only the Player's Option: Spells & Magic sourcebook lists it in the Animal sphere, which seems the more appropriate sphere.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211, 254. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 61, 62, 68. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 244. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 91. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 223. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 282. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- ↑ Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 186. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 50,61. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 50. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.