The Knights of Samular were an order of paladins in the service of Tyr who tended to focus on the supremacy of law. They were a well-respected order in the Northlands with their base of operations in the Summit Hall while also maintaining a base in Waterdeep.
Formed in 952 DR after the Second Troll War, the Knights of Samular traced their roots to three brothers who became champions of the war, Samular Caradoon, Renwick Caradoon, and Amphail the Just. While successfully stopping the siege of trolls through the use of the Rings of Samular and the magical siege engine known as the Kezefbane, Amphail and Renwick were killed around the end of the war (though the latter would become an archlich entombed at the Sumber Hills). The invading trolls were eventually routed by Samular and his growing group of Tyrran paladins. These knights would eventually come to be known as the Knights of Samular.
After routing the warlord Brunyundar Margaster from the keep, the knights made Thornhold as their chapterhouse. The Knights lost their headquarters to the Zhentarim thanks to the treachery of Dag Zoreth. The keep was then confiscated by Bronwyn Caradoon, who took up residence with her niece. This resulted in a breakdown of relations between the Knights of Samular and the Harpers After their initial loss of the keep, the Knights of Samular were based out of Summit Hall.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 47–49. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 47. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ Michele Carter, Stacy Janssen eds. (2015). Princes of the Apocalypse. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 36–37. ISBN 978-0786965786.
- ↑ Thomas M. Reid, Sean K. Reynolds (Nov. 2005). Champions of Valor. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 102. ISBN 0-7869-3697-5.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 48. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.