|This article or section includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations.
You can improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
Krakens, called lopok by the locathah, were large, ocean-dwelling magical beasts. They are akin to squids except larger in size, almost 80' (24 m) long; they have a similar body, with a ring of tentacles surrounding a mouth connected to a conical central body. Two of its ten tentacles are longer than the rest and have deadly barbs. The kraken has very large eyes, and fins protrude from the upper part of its elongated central body.
Krakens cannot speak the languages of surface dwelling races, but might speak Aquan, or a language of their own similar to that of whales.
Krakens are feared across the known world. They are creatures that dwell in the depths of the ocean and come to the surface to prey upon ships and their crews.
While the kraken itself is quite powerful, many never see the creature’s body. It hides below the surface of the water, where it can be protected from any attacks by a ship’s defenders. The kraken instead, sends forth is massive tentacles to catch crewmen and draw them below the water, where the beast can devour the unfortunate souls in one gulp.
These creatures appear to be gargantuan squids with massive tentacles that can crush the hull of a galleon. The average kraken is about 100 feet in length and weighs about 4,000 pounds.
Krakens are highly destructive and evil creatures. With their strong tentacles and massive strength, they can pull an entire ship down into the ocean. They have often completely wiped tropical islands of all life, and deep beneath the ocean, they have cavernous lairs where they breed human slaves to feed and tend them. Krakens were supposedly once the rulers of the sea, but eventually the forces of good drove them back, though legends say they will one day rise again. Krakens attack predominantly with their tentacles. They can both constrict opponents, and bring them into the reaches of the creature's huge jaws. In addition, Krakens can also release an enormous cloud of jet-black ink, regenerate severed limbs, and can even cast spells.
- Computer Games
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 196–197. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 162. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Steven E. Schend (1999). Sea of Fallen Stars. (TSR, Inc), p. 49. ISBN 0-7869-1393-2.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Eric Cagle (October 2002). “The Minions of Darkness”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #300 (Paizo Publishing, LLC).
- Richard Pett (August 2005). “The Ecology of the Kraken”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #334 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), pp. 60–65.