Negus (Prince) Kwalu was the son of King Osaw I and a member of the barae, the seven "super-paladins" sworn to protect the holy city of Mezro in Chult before its destruction during the Spellplague.
In the 1360s DR, Kwalu was over 100 years old, yet, like all barae, he was immortal.
Kwalu had a very intense personality and took very seriously his role of protector of Mezro. He admired true bravery.
- He could utter magical commands that would compel the hearer to obedience.
- He regenerated health rapidly.
- He could detect evil at will.
- He had improved reflexes and physical and mental resistances.
- Cure critical wounds
- Remove blindness or deafness
- Remove disease
- True seeing
In addition, Kwalu possessed the terrifying power to control vast swarms of locusts. Provided he had a single locust to begin with, he could summon a cloud of the insects more than 200 yards (180 meters) in width that would consume anything in their path.