|This article has no clear connection to the Forgotten Realms.
Please help improve this article by adding appropriate information or clarifying the relationship. If you are using this information for your own research, campaign, or general interest, you should not rely on its relevance.
The loumaras were a relatively new demonic race, much younger than the tanar'ri. They were still centuries old, but that was still recent in a place like the Abyss, where time didn't mean the same thing it did on the Material Plane. As a result, few loumaras became powerful enough to be recognized as demon lords; Sifkhu, who was captured by the demon lord Malcanthet, was perhaps the only one.
Loumaras were usually immaterial demons that were more like ghosts than demons. Most of them could possess creatures or objects in order to more effectively work their evil.
The loumara race were a result of the Abyss's attempts to digest the dreams and memories of a pantheon of dead deities. This pantheon, a territorial bunch, was killed eons ago by the Abyss itself, when Demogorgon baited them into destroying the layer of one of his rivals; as the angry gods ripped an entire layer free from the Abyss, the Abyss lashed back, slaying them all so that only their thoughts remained. The Demonomicon of Iggwilv speculated that each breed of loumara evolved from the dreams of a different dead deity, and that their natures are a corruption of that deity's portfolio. The dybbuk was believed to have been born from the dreams or nightmares of a dead goddess of love and art, the guecubus from those of a god of law and peace, and the dreams of a goddess of nature and fertility formed the manitous.
Types of LoumaraEdit
- A dybbuk resembled a jellyfish with a simply sketched human face. They could possess and control dead bodies, then plunge into hedonism until that body was ruined. They spent a lot of time looking for desirable bodies to possess.
- Guecubu demons resembled masses of vapor, and could possess and control sleeping humanoids. Once in control guecubus would 'ride' silently, but would eventually begin to murder people, especially the victim's family and friends. They could conceal their actions from even the victim, and believed that spilled blood formed a pattern. Geucubus were born from tainted dreamstuff.
- Caligrostos were considered the most sadistic of the loumara demons, capable possessing weapons (particularly slashing weapons) and even enhancing such weapons with magic. Once the weapon has caused damage, though, the caligrosto could manifest, though still immaterial, and wield the still-physical weapon on its own.
- Manitou naturally appeared as a tangle of vines, each one tipped with a fanged maw. They could possess any plant, animal, or fey, but in their incorporeal form could literally tear the natural world apart.
- ↑ James Jacobs (March 2007). “The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Malcanthet: Queen of the Succubi”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #353 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 27.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 James Jacobs (September 2007). “The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Apocrypha”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #359 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 43.
- ↑ James Jacobs (July 2007). “The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Demogorgon: Prince of Demons”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #357 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 30.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ed Stark, James Jacobs, Erik Mona (June 13, 2006). Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3919-2.
- ↑ James Jacobs (October 2007). “The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Graz'zt, the Dark Prince”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #360 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 18.
Caligrosto • Guecubu • Manitou
Alkilith • Arrow demon • Babau • Balor • Bar-lgura • Cerebrilith • Chasme • Glabrezu • Goristro • Hezrou • Immolith • Kastighur • Klurichir • Mane • Marilith • Maurezhi • Molydeus • Nalfeshnee • Orlath • Sorrowsworn demon • Succubus • Uridezu • Vrock • Yochlol
Bebilith • Dretch • Ghour • Kazrith • Quasit • Retriever • Shadow demon • Wastrilith • Yochlol