Today in the Realms...
...it is Midwinter, or Deadwinter Day.
On this day:
- Worshipers of Auril hold a festival of ice-dancing on Midwinter Night.
- Worshipers of Berronar Truesilver mark this day with chanted prayers, speeches, reports on the workings of the church, and an underground festival.
- Worshipers of the svirfneblin deity Callarduran Smoothhands celebrate the Festival of the Star at midnight when special phosphorescent fungi reflect like stars off of subterranean waters.
- To the worshipers of Gargauth, Midwinter Night is the Unveiling, said to be observed with many grisly sacrifices.
- Guardians of Gorm Gulthyn gather for ritual salutes, martial weapons displays, chanted prayers, and the offering of weapons used in a defensive action.
- Worshipers of Grumbar hold a festival and set plans for the next year.
- Worshipers of Laduguer observe Grimtidings by stopping work and listening to priests recounting tales of duergar suffering.
- Worshipers of Lliira open a holy festival with the Swords Cast Down ritual in ...Read more...
Waukeen was the goddess of commerce for much of the continent of Faerûn. She was known as the Merchant's Friend for her guiding hand in all forms of commerce (legal and otherwise); as Liberty's Maiden for her support of free and fair trade through honest bargaining based on supply and demand; and as the Golden Lady for her unabashed belief in the accumulation of wealth and, most importantly, the use of those riches to improve civilization for everyone. She was a relatively young deity, driven to accomplish her goals quickly and completely so she could move on to the next one. This impatient streak often led her to try alternate methods when "business as usual" resulted in an impasse, and manifested itself in her church which sometimes let the ends justify the means.
Her stubbornness likely led to her downfall during the Time of Troubles when she, like almost every other deity in the Faerûnian pantheon, was cast down to Toril and forced to inhabit the Prime Material Plane in avatar form. She joined up with Lliira and hatched a plan to get back to her realm in the Outlands, first by attempting to bribe Helm, who was guarding the Celestial Staircase, and then by striking a bargain with an archfiend of the Abyss, Lord Graz'zt. Unable to leave Toril in divine form, she temporarily bequeathed her divinity and portfolio to Lliira, only to be betrayed by Graz'zt and held prisoner for twelve years. During her long absence, not even Lliira knew her whereabouts and the church of Waukeen began to decline rapidly.
Did you know...
And, from the archives, did you know...
Hear ye, hear ye! Quiet in back! The Heralds of Faerûn
hereby announce that, to celebrate the upcoming release of the Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
video game, the Shadow of Mordor Wikia
has issued formal challenges to the wikis of the cosmos, pitting their champions in head-to-head contests of popularity and strength of arms. The Forgotten Realms Wiki has accepted this challenge as a test of honor.
Drizzt Do'Urden, much-loved renegade drow ranger and master of dual scimitars, of some 26 years' fame, is now facing Talion, the risen Ranger of Gondor and skilled swordsman, at yet untested.
Let it also be known that our sister wiki, the Baldur's Gate Wiki has also accepted a challenge, and that Viconia DeVir, drow priestess of Shar, is facing Galadriel, the elven Lady of Lórien.
Show your support and click your acclaim for your favorite heroes. We're sure ye'll choose wisely.
We're pleased to announce that the ranger of Icewind Dale has a clear lead over the Ranger of Gondor.