Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A martyred champion was a person who had heroically sacrificed themselves in accordance with Ilmater's teachings and returned to life to continue along the same path, ready to sacrifice themselves again if need be. As such, they sought to follow in the footsteps of St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred. These martyrs were highly revered, even venerated, and they lay outside the hierarchy of the Church of Ilmater, operating as free agents. Such people were heroes of the struggle against evil and suffering, and they were completely devoted to Ilmater's teachings.
A would-be martyr was typically skilled in some area, hardy and enduring, familiar with their faith, of a good and lawful disposition, blessed and illuminated by the good powers, and, above all, dead and resurrected.
Any person could become a martyred champion, because anyone could find themself made a martyr. Therefore, the path of the martyred champion offered varied benefits to those who dared take it, allowing them to continue advancing their spellcasting or to learn to practice other great feats.
- A martyred champion could take blows or injuries that would otherwise knock them unconscious, and still stay active.
- Unarmed Strike
- A martyred champion fought empty-handed just like their patron deity, and trained in the unarmed martial arts.
- Fear Immunity
- A martyred champion knew no fear.
- Greater Endurance
- A martyred champion had a divinely enhanced ability to endure suffering and strive against the odds.
- Divine Grace
- A champion's faith strengthened their ability to withstand adversity.
- Holy Suffering
- If a martyred champion took a blow that could kill a person, and they survived, then Ilmater blessed them for it, enhancing resistances, skills, and their ability to deal back the punishment they'd taken.
- Damage Reduction
- A martyred champion could shrug off all but the most serious injuries, unless they came from an evil weapon.
- The greatest martyred champions were on speaking terms with their god, and able to commune with Ilmater once a day, though at some cost.
- The highest martyred champions could forgo the need to eat, drink, or even breathe altogether. They still felt the pain of starvation, thirst, or suffocation if they did, but they put their minds above such trivial concerns.