A maul (or mall) is a heavy, long-handled hammer used for splitting a piece of wood along its grain, or as a two-handed, martial, melee weapon.
One side of it is similar to a warhammer and the other side is much like an axe. A typical maul for wood splitting will have a head weighing in the region of 20lbs (9kg) and an overall length comparable to a greataxe. An average maul can be bought for 15gp.
Mauls have a wedge-shaped head and the cutting side resembles an axe but with a thicker, blunter blade. For splitting wood, this tool is much better than a typical axe. The weight of it is more advantageous and due to its width, it's difficult for it to become stuck in the wood. When used in combat, this heavy weapon is wielded in two hands.
- Great Mallet of Silvanus, preferred weapon of the nature god Silvanus.
- Maul of Brutal Endings, preferred weapon of the demon lord, Kostchtchie.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 149. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 97. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Brian R. James, Steve Townshend (July, 2010). Demonomicon. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 122. ISBN 978-0786954926.