The continent of Maztica.
|Inhabitants of Maztica|
|Locations in Maztica|
|Organizations in Maztica|
|Settlements in Maztica|
Maztica, referred to by its inhabitants as The True World, was a large continent west of Faerûn. Maztica was a land of jungles and mystery. During the Spellplague, the continent of Mazitca was replaced by a continent that came to be known as Returned Abeir.
- Native kingdom subdued by the Amnians.
- Native kingdom that paid tribute to Nexal.
- The fort and port constructed by Cordell.
- Gulf of Cordell
- This large body of water was adjacent to Helmsport and is named after the Amnian explorer.
- Green Sisters
- Archipelago of islands where Cordell first made landfall.
- Far Payit
- A large jungle land with few settlements.
- Sea of Azul
- A large body of water that separated Far Payit from the House of Tezca.
- Narabatun Jungle
- Jungle in the northern part of Far Payit.
- The mightiest empire on the continent (in 1361 DR).
- House of Tezca
- A large desert south of Nexal.
Early in the continent's history it was a land fought over by the gods Qotal (the Plumed Serpent) and his brother Zaltec. For a crime against his sister, Qotal retreated from Maztica for an age but returned in recent times. Maztica was also the name of the elder goddess who embodied the land of Maztica. Killed by her own son Zaltec, she was the wife of dead Kukul, but unlike her husband, continued to live on in the continued existence of the continent.
Maztica was 'discovered' by Amnian explorers led by Captain-general Cordell and his Golden Legion in 1361 DR. Amn was quick to lay its claim to the land for trade benefits, establishing the port city of Helmsport, named after the deity Helm, some of whose followers began to migrate into the new land. The native peoples were devastated by foreign diseases and the ruthlessness of the invaders, and this, coupled with the difficulties encountered on Maztica backfiring against them, caused the church of Helm to come under heavy criticism. Lantan also claimed some lands. Some scorpionfolk from Maztica found an Underdark passage to the Underdark of Faerûn.
The native people of Maztica from Payit and Far Payit were known as Payits, whereas natives from the other nations were known as Mazticans. There were also the human races such as the Dog People and the Green Folk.
Many unique monstrous races also lived in Maztica, including:
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, p. 87. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- ↑ Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms, p. 146. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.
- Original map - http://www.freewebs.com/andionisurand/FR_maztica.htm