|Alignment|| Neutral good, |
later chaotic good
Minsc is a kind-hearted but rather addled warrior known for his habit of talking to a hamster. He believes that the animal, called Boo, is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster, but no-one else ever sees any evidence of this.
The Novel Edit
In the novelization of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Minsc is encountered in Irenicus's dungeon (for unknown reasons) and escapes it along with Abdel Adrian. He has red hair and does not play a significant role in the rest of the story.
Minsc appears in all the games in the Baldur's Gate series. He's first encountered in Nashkel in Baldur's Gate, where he is looking for heroes to help him save his charge Dynaheir who has been captured by gnolls. The pair of them have both left their homeland of Rashemen to perform their respective rites of passage, he acting as her bodyguard and she as his "witch". It is up to the player to decide what to do about this quest, but it's possible to rescue Dynaheir and recruit both characters in one's party. Refusal to help will result in Minsc's attacking, as he is somewhat unstable.
In Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn Minsc and Dynaheir are assumed to have been part of the player character's party (along with Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid), and at the beginning Minsc is found trapped in the same dungeon as the protagonist. He's distraught over the loss of Dynaheir who has been murdered in front of his eyes, also meaning that he has failed in his dajemma (a ritual journey to manhood). Depending on player choices, it is possible that Minsc will later adopt as his "new witch" Aerie, another playable character in the game. Finally, it's possible to play Minsc in Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal either by summoning him magically or simply continuing the game with an old party that includes him.
Minsc is very capable physically but mentally much more limited. Besides talking to the hamster Boo, whom he believes to be a miniature giant space hamster, he has a very simplistic view of the world, and he's often quick to decide someone is evil and should be attacked. Fortunately he's also kind by nature and determined to be a hero. It is mentioned several times that he has suffered significant head trauma; it's not known what his mental capacities were before that, but he mentions it as the time he befriended Boo. He's somewhat unstable and prone to flying into a rage, in game terms also at will; he has a special ability that resembles a barbarian's or berserker's rage. He will also react violently to his witch being threatened. In appearance Minsc is a large human with a tattooed, bald head. He is neutral good in the first game and chaotic good in the second; his ranger's favored enemy is first gnolls and later vampires.
- "You point, I punch!"
- "Who wants some?"
- "Less talk, more fight!"
- "Squeaky wheels get the KICK!"
- "When the going gets tough, someone hold my rodent."
- "No effect?! I need a bigger sword."
- "Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details."
- "The bigger they are, the harder I hit!"
- "Jump on my sword while you can, evil. I won't be as gentle!"
- "Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!"
- "Camaraderie, adventure and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?"
- "Boo must have his exercise, lest he bite us all in hard to reach places."
- "Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth, and packing a hamster!"
- "Every hamster has his day."
- "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, watch it! I'm huge!"
- "Butt-kicking for goodness!"
- "Full-plate and packing Steel!"
- "Evil, meet my sword! SWORD! MEET! EVIL!"
- "Swords! Not words!"
- "Where Minsc goes, evil stands aside."
- "There is safety in numbers. And I'm two or three at least."
- (When first met) "Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you."
- (When raging) "Fear not! I will inspire you all by charging blindly on!"
- (Battle-cry) "Go for the eyes, Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!!"
- (When chosen as leader) "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!"
- (In big city) "Evil 'round every corner! Careful not to step in any."
- (When standing still) "My hamster is getting antsy; if we be adventurers, let us adventure."
- (When fatigued) "I must rest; I have a terrible case of armor chafe."
- (When critically wounded) "I need healing, lest my hamster become an orphan."
- (When reputation goes low) "I agree, Boo. This group could do with a swift kick in the morals!"
- "None shall see me, though my battle-cry may give me away."
- "Where goes the stench of evil, so goes the cleansing wind of Minsc and Boo."
- Baldur's Gate computer game
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn computer game
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn novelization
- Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal computer game
- Legends of Baldur's Gate comic series (October 2014)
- Apparently Minsc was the roleplaying character of Cameron Tofer years before being part of the Baldur's gate story.Trent Oster Twitter. Retrieved on 2014-07-17.
- BioWare (1998). James Ohlen. Baldur's Gate [video game]. Black Isle Studios/Interplay.
- BioWare (2000). Kevin Martens. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn [video game]. Black Isle Studios/Interplay.
- Philip Athans (September 2000). Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Paperback). Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-1569-2.
Ajantis Ilvastarr • Alora • Baeloth Barrityl • Branwen • Coran • Dorn Il-Khan • Dynaheir • Edwin Odesseiron • Eldoth Kron • Faldorn • Garrick • Imoen • Jaheira • Kagain • Khalid • Kivan • Minsc • Montaron • Neera • Quayle • Rasaad yn Bashir • Safana • Shar-Teel Dosan • Skie Silvershield • Tiax • Viconia DeVir • Xan • Xzar • Yeslick Orothiar
During the Bhaalspawn Crisis
Aerie • Anomen Delryn • Cernd • Clara • Dorn Il-Khan • Edwin Odesseiron • Haer'Dalis • Hexxat • Imoen • Jaheira • Jan Jansen • Keldorn Firecam • Korgan Bloodaxe • Mazzy Fentan • Minsc • Nalia de'Arnise • Neera • Rasaad yn Bashir • Sarevok Anchev • Valygar Corthala • Viconia DeVir • Yoshimo