The Nubari people were tall, ranging from five feet to well over six feet in height. Their skin was colored in various brown shades from deep bronze to a dark brown. Their hair and eyes were usually black or brown, but occasionally their hair would be autumn-colored. It was usually curly.
In rare instances, an individual would be born with the traits of the Ancient Nubari from which the modern Nubari descended. These persons would be even taller than normal and would have golden eyes or only three fingers on each hand.
The Nubari lived in tribes arranged by blood relationship. The idea of "people" as opposed to "animals" is a very important distinction to the Nubari. What races the Nubari consider people varies from tribe to tribe.
The Nubari were a shamanistic people.
- This was a very xenophobic tribe with a tragic history.
- The Koshiva
- This tribe of "Boat People" were known as fishers.
- This proud tribe was composed of fishers and hunters.
- The "People of the Lion" believed themselves to be related to lions.
- Tribe of Big Chief Bagoomba
- This was the largest tribe in Malatra, originally named the Saiyama.
- The Wise Ones
- This tribe lived in the savanna and was famed for the intelligence of its people.
- This tribe was famous for the skill of its warriors.
Thousands of years before the Time of Troubles,[note 1] the ancestors of the Nubari came to Abeir-Toril on spelljammers from another world, fleeing a great celestial war in search of peace. These "Ancients" chose the jungles of Malatra as their new home, because of its isolation from the rest of Toril.
The Ancients developed a utopia in isolation atop the Malatran Plateau, but eventually, an unknown disaster struck, destroying their peaceful civilization. Those Ancients who survived had to return to primitive ways of life in the jungle.
Eventually, native humans (related to the Shou) from the jungles surrounding the plateau managed to climb its cliffs. They intermingled with the surviving Ancient Nubari and, over a time period of thousands of years, formed a new race of Nubari humans, which came to be the dominant ethnic group of the region.
- ↑ No date for the Living Jungle setting is given in any of the official material. This article assumes that it takes place around the time of the second and third editions, based on the time period when the material was released.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 RPGA Malatra: The Living Jungle: A Brave New World for Network Members (PDF). Living Jungle Campaign: Player Information Guide (unpublished document).
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 RPGA Tribes of the Nubari: And Other Peoples of the Living Jungle (PDF). Living Jungle Campaign: Player Information Guide (unpublished document).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Stephen Gryphon (2003). Inhabitants of the Jungle v3.1 (PDF). (unpublished document), p. 16.
- ↑ Stephen H. Jay and Thomas Prusa (2001). The Jungle Book of Malantra. (unpublished document).
Minor Ethnic Groups
Arkaiun • Bedine • Chultan • Durpari • Eshowe • Ffolk • Frost folk • Gur • Halruaan • Imaskari • Itza • Lantanna • Maztican • Nar • Netherese • Nubari • Raumviran • Shaaran • Shou • Sossrim • Tabaxi • Talfir • Tashalan • Tuigan • Turami • Ulutiun • Vaasan • Zakharan
Aasimar (Deva) • Abbalaya • Deep Imaskari • Elan • Genasi • Githyanki • Githzerai • Grimlock • Half-drow • Half-eladrin • Half-elf • Half-orc • Shifter • Spirit folk • Tiefling