|Type||Natural humanoid (fiend)|
|Homeland(s)||The Astral Sea and Prime Material Plane|
|Language(s)||Common, Infernal, Undercommon|
Rakshasas are a type of evil outsiders from the lawful evil regions of the Outer Planes, though most live on the Material Plane. They are powerful sorcerers and, although they disdain physical fighting as ignoble, can be dangerous in close combat as well.
A rakshasa can assume any humanoid form, so few have seen their true faces. In its natural form, a rakshasa has a powerfully-built humanoid body and an animal’s head. Many rakshasas have the head of a tiger, while others can have the heads of dogs, birds, or other animals. The king of the rakshasas is said to possess multiple heads, each a different type of animal. Another physical characteristic of the rakshasa is that its hands are backwards: the palms face out from the body when the arms are at rest. Rakshasa are capable of hiding their disturbing appearance at any time, as they can choose any humanoid form at will.
Rakshasa are cruel and wicked. They love to pose as nobility, living a life of luxury and ease while many slaves and servants toil under their command.
|This Physical Description does not cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this Physical Description by introducing appropriate citations. This article has been tagged since 19:22, January 4, 2012 (UTC). If you are using this information for your own research, campaign or general interest, you should not rely on its accuracy.
- These rakshasas have the heads of white tigers and are skinnier than common breed. They are unusually powerful spellcasters and specialize in necromantic magic. To use their necromantic powers to their full potential the ak'chazar rakshasas often use graveyards or old battlefields as their headquarters. When working on one of their dark schemes they often let their undead do the physical work while they stay behind the scenes themselves.
- These rakshasas are shapeshifters with the ability to utilize different supernatural combat styles based on their current forms.
- Naztharune rakshasas have the heads of black tigers and are covered in black fur. They have few magical powers but compensate by being strong fighters, specializing in assassination. They lack most rakshasas' need to be the leader of any organization that they are part of, often working for other rakshasas.
- Zakyas
Rakshasas are solitary beings, although they do occasionally cooperate with each other. Since rakshasas are ambitious beings, as well as being solitary, sorcerous shapeshifters, they typically hold leading positions in whatever undertaking they are involved in. Rakshasa knights focus on hunting paladins on behalf of Ravanna, while rakshasa lords serve as his high priests.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 212. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Andrew Finch, Gwendolyn Kestrel, Chris Perkins (September 2004). Monster Manual III. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 134. ISBN 0-7869-3430-1.
- ↑ Template:Cite book/Tome of Battle
- ↑ Andrew Finch, Gwendolyn Kestrel, Chris Perkins (September 2004). Monster Manual III. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 136. ISBN 0-7869-3430-1.
- ↑ *Bennie, Scott. "Never the Same Thing Twice." Dragon #84. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1984.
- ↑ *Bennie, Scott. "Never the Same Thing Twice." Dragon #84. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1984. Page 31.