Read magic was a widespread universal spell that let one read scrolls and spellbooks.
By means of read magic, the caster could read magical inscriptions on objects such as books, scrolls, weapons, and the like, that would otherwise be unintelligible. This deciphering did not normally invoke the magic contained in the writing, although it might do so in the case of a cursed scroll. Furthermore, once the spell was cast and the caster had read the magical inscription, he or she was thereafter able to read that particular writing without recourse to the use of read magic. The caster could read at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute. The spell allowed the caster to identify a glyph of warding.
A clear crystal or mineral prism.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (August 2000). Player's Handbook 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-1551-4.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 62–66. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 269. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), p. 57. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 137. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 180. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 978-1560763581.