Esmel River was a peaceful and wide river that drained Lake Esmel at Esmeltaran and flowed west to the Sea of Swords. At its source, the waters were warm from the hot springs of the lake, but after a mile, they cooled to normal temperatures, though they still maintained their sulfur taste for a good distance from the lake.
The Emsel River was full of barges, even more so than the Alandor River. The city of Purskul received much of its livelihood in grain and other goods from these barges. Besides grain barges, the river carried fishing barges and pleasure barges. These latter barges were double-decked vessels decorated with purple and gold silks and full of dancers and musicians and wealthy merchants and customers. It was popular for rich merchants to return from Esmeltaran on such barges, and village children would often cluster alongside the river when such barges passed, hoping that a kind merchant would toss them some coins from the boat.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 45. ISBN 978-0786912377.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition (Map). (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Scott Haring (1988). Empires of the Sands. (TSR, Inc), p. 12. ISBN 0-8803-8539-1.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 47. ISBN 978-0786912377.
- ↑ Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 46. ISBN 978-0786912377.