Rocs were gargantuan eagle-like birds that inhabited the highest mountains in warm regions.
Rocs were birds of such immense size that they were known to snatch horses (and their riders), elephants, and even whales to feed upon. They preyed upon large creatures such as cattle, horses, and elephants. The roc swept down upon prey, seized it in its powerful talons, and carried it off to its lair to feed. If the prey resisted, the roc would strike with its beak.
The lair of a roc was be a vast nest of trees, branches, and the like. Its treasure was strewn about, for the creature did not place any value upon it. Rocs were occasionally tamed and used by giants. Rocs often guarded the nests of simurghs until they were mature.
Rocs were usually solitary, but sometimes found in mated pairs.
- Short stories
- Computer games
- Neverwinter (mentioned)
- ↑ Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 260. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 215. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb (August 1992). Land of Fate (Monster Sheets). (TSR, Inc). ISBN 978-1560763291.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 82. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- ↑ Wolfgang Baur, Steve Kurtz (1992). Monstrous Compendium Al-Qadim Appendix. (TSR, Inc). ISBN l-56076-370-1.
- ↑ Jean Rabe, Skip Williams and Ed Sollers (1989). Gateway to Ravens Bluff, the Living City. (TSR, Inc), p. 11.