In the 1350s DR, Selûne's Smile was a newly opened inn managed by Luna. Vajra Valmeyjar became its bouncer for a time and developed a good working relationship and friendship with Luna. It was quiet but known for its sociable and friendly atmosphere.
However, by 1357 DR, it had grown rather rowdy—when next Vajra entered, she stepped into a brawl, but quelled it by her very presence. She'd been summoned by Luna to help with a task: Cybriana, Timoth Eyesbright, and Onyx the Invincible had been seeking the paladin Priam Agrivar, finally arriving at the Smile. Luna introduced them, and Vajra led them to Priam—the drunken beggar outside, whom they rescued from thugs. They all stayed in the tavern's common room that night. Shortly after they left to find help for Priam, bounty seekers who'd pursued Vajra found and killed two of the thugs outside the Inn of the Crescent Moon. Not long after, Conner and a young boy, who'd been traveling on a distant moor when they were beset by dire wolves, were transported by a shaft of moonlight to the street outside Selûne's Smile, where Luna greeted them. Conner and the boy stayed at the inn. After defeating the monstrous Imgig Zu and foiling his invasion of the Realms, the victorious adventurers Vajra, Priam, Timoth, Onyx, and Kyriani returned to the Selûne's Smile, where Luna placed the powerful Selûne's Eye gem on a shelf over the bar, then bestowed treasures on the heroes. Onyx, however, searched inside a cabinet, which turned out to be trapped with a spell that sent him to sleep.
On the hottest day of summer, 1357 DR, Vajra and Timoth arm-wrestled in the Smile as watched on and Onyx collected bets. Little did they know that their contest was magically enhanced, releasing Aviss and Fellandar from their extra-dimensional prison to wreak a path of destruction through the city, beginning and ending at the Smile. A stoneskin-protected Onyx was hurled through the Smile's wall. The villains were re-imprisoned and Vajra and Timoth broke off their match, leaving the winner unknown, an argument breaking out, and Onyx struggling to pay back his bets.
- ↑ This "mystic nexus point", in Khelben's words, may be the Selûne's Eye gem, which is itself an pocket-dimension prison.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 87. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Michael Fleisher (December 1988). “The Gathering”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #1 (DC Comics).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Michael Fleisher (January 1989). “The Bounty Seekers Of Manshaka”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #2 (DC Comics), p. 7.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 44. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ Michael Fleisher (February 1989). “The Secret of Selûne's Eye”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #3 (DC Comics), pp. 7–9.
- ↑ Michael Fleisher (March 1989). “Sorcerer's Moon”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #4 (DC Comics), pp. 22–23.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Dan Mishkin (September 1991). “Summer in the City”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #33 (DC Comics).
- ↑ Steven E. Schend, Sean K. Reynolds and Eric L. Boyd (June 2000). Cloak & Dagger. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 30. ISBN 0-7869-1627-3.