Shades were humanoids who had merged with the essence of shadowstuff. They grew more powerful in areas of darkness or shadows, including gaining the ability to leap from shadow to shadow, to create shadowy duplicates of themselves, and even to become entirely invisible. They could also decrease the amount of light in an area and could see through darkness, even of the magical variety.
A select few Shadovar, citizens of Thultanthar, were rewarded for their immense loyalty to the city by being made into shades. Shades were first created through the research of Netherese wizards who left Faerûn for the Plane of Shadow for research purposes long before Karsus's Folly. During this journey, it was found that by removing a part of one's soul and replacing it with the essence of shadow, a shade could be produced. This was an extremely complex and painful process, but the result was a being with a prolonged life and a greatly strengthened set of abilities when in the presence of shadows.
- Dan Salas (October 1987). “The Ecology of the Shade”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #126 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 40–43.
- Ed Bonny (January 1995). “The Demiplane of Shadow”. Dragon #213 (TSR, Inc.), p. 22.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 (1998). Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-7869-1212-X.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 260. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 314–315. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Reynolds, Forbeck, Jacobs, Boyd (March 2003). Races of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 147–149. ISBN 0-7869-2875-1.