|Natives||Shadow creatures, shadowborn|
|Shape and size||Normal|
|Magic trait||Enhanced (shadow)|
The Shadowfell, sometimes simply called Shadow, was a parallel plane from which necrotic energies and shadow magic stemmed. It existed as sort of a counterpart to the Feywild in the sense that it was a reflection or "echo" of the Prime Material Plane except that it was a bleak, desolate place full of decay and death.
The Shadowfell was created in 1385 DR when Shar, having successfully arranged Mystra's death, bound the energies of the Negative Energy Plane with the Plane of Shadow. Since then, the Shadowfell existed as a center of Shar's power as well as a transitory place for dead mortals on their way towards judgment on the Fugue Plane.
Much of the Shadowfell was a twisted reflection of the Prime Material plane and was populated primarily by dead creatures such as ghosts, specters, and other undead who for whatever reason refused to leave the Shadowfell and continue on to the Fugue Plane. There were however, numerous other inhabitants, such as communities of shadar-kai, Shadovar, and dark ones.
- Ambergris, dwarf Shadovar cleric of Dumathoin and former member of Cavus Dun.
- Afafrenfere, human Shadovar monk, former member of Cavus Dun, former member of Brothers of the Gray Mists, and former member of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.
- Draygo Quick, a Netherese lord and powerful warlock.
- Effron the Twisted, tiefling Shadovar warlock, and former student of Draygo Quick.
- Herzgo Alegni, tiefling Shadovar warlord, who wielded Charon's Claw.
- Parbid, tiefling Shadovar monk, member of Cavus Dun, and the Brothers of the Gray Mists.
- Glorfathel, elf Shadovar wizard and member of Cavus Dun.
- Parise Ulfbinder, a Netherese lord.
- Ratsis the Spider Farmer, a human male shade and member of Cavus Dun.
- Jermander, a tiefling Shadovar warrior and member of Cavus Dun.
- The Ghost King, a composite being formed from: Hephaestus a dracolich; Crenshinibon and its seven disembodied liches; and the sentience of Yharaskrik, an illithid; which had powers over the undead denizens of the Shadowfell.
- Drasek Riven, a godling, had his fortress here, where he hid from Rivalen the Nightseer and the archdevil Mephistopheles, both of whom shared a piece of the divine essence Drasek himself had.
- ↑ Richard Baker, John Rogers, Robert J. Schwalb, James Wyatt (December 2008). Manual of the Planes 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 53. ISBN 978-0-7869-5002-7.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 69. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 R.A. Salvatore (March 2013). The Last Threshold. (Wizards of the Coast) ISBN 0-7869-6364-6.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Warning: edition not specified for The Companions
- ↑ Paul S. Kemp (December 2008). Shadowrealm. (Wizards of the Coast) ISBN 978-0786948639.