Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article does not cite its references or sources.
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations. This article has been tagged since Darkwynters (talk) 15:40, June 5, 2015 (UTC). If you are using this information for your own research, campaign or general interest, you should not rely on its accuracy.
Shal was a big, brawny woman, well over six feet tall and over 200 pounds. She had shoulder length auburn (reddish-brown) hair, silky skin and green eyes.
Shal possessed a cloth of many pockets, a magical dagger, a crystal ball, a ring of wishes, a magical flying horse originally named Cerulean, then Mulberry (although in Pool of Radiance, the horse was again called Cerulean) that she inherited from her deceased mage master and a wand of wonder.
Shal Bal was an apprentice magic user when her master, Ranthor of Cormyr, was struck down by an evil foe with a dagger adorned with a bizarre snake's-head armlet. Her master was thoughtful enough to leave certain magical artifacts about to enable her escape. One of these artifacts was a ring of wishes that she accidentally used. It transformed her small female frame into a tall, well-muscled body when she wished she was strong enough to remove the saddle and packs off of her magical horse's back. This accident was beneficial as it added to the proficiency of her magical skills while she traveled with Tarl Desanea, a cleric of Tyr from Vaasa, and Ren o' the Blade, a ranger-thief from Waterdeep, in their adventures across Phlan to assist her friends and avenge her master's death.
Shal entered into apprenticeship when she turned sixteen years of age when her parents heard that the great Ranthor of Cormyr was interviewing for an apprentice.. At the time of Ranthor's death, Shal had been under Ranthor's instruction for three years. Before her schooling, she lived with family, her father, mother, and brothers somewhere in Cormyr. Her family members were profession sellswords, which would not have suited Shal’s petite figure and attractive features; thus, her parents' encouragement to apprentice to become a mage (magic-user).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 James Ward, Jane Cooper Hong (November 1989). Pool of Radiance. (TSR, Inc), p. 135. ISBN 0-8803-8735-1.
- ↑ James Ward, Jane Cooper Hong (November 1989). Pool of Radiance. (TSR, Inc), p. 315. ISBN 0-8803-8735-1.
- ↑ James Ward, Jane Cooper Hong (November 1989). Pool of Radiance. (TSR, Inc), p. 17. ISBN 0-8803-8735-1.
- ↑ James Ward, Jane Cooper Hong (November 1989). Pool of Radiance. (TSR, Inc), p. 28. ISBN 0-8803-8735-1.
- ↑ James Ward, Anne K. Brown (November 1993). Pool of Twilight. (TSR, Inc), p. 8. ISBN 0-8803-8735-1.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 James Ward, Jane Cooper Hong (November 1989). Pool of Radiance. (TSR, Inc), p. 24. ISBN 0-8803-8735-1.