Medium sharks, such as reef sharks, usually inhabited shallow waters and coral reefs. They hunted in packs.
Large sharks included hunter sharks that preyed on deep waters, and fleshtearer sharks, which were found in various environments, including underground rivers and lakes. They usually hunted alone, but could also be found in groups.
Even larger sharks existed, known as dire sharks, which had a similar behavior, attacking anything that they perceived to be edible, no matter how large.
Sharks were tactical hunters, using their keen senses to circle their prey just outside of their field of view and charging to attack at the most opportune moment. Their powerful jaws and sharp teeth were effective against many different targets, sometimes even ship hulls.
Sharks were revered by sahuagin and could be trained by them. Their kinship to sahuagin was so strong that even wild sharks considered them allies and did not attack them. Sahuagin could also telepathically issue commands to nearby sharks.
The smaller types of sharks were very common in the waters surrounding Chult. The Bay of Chult and Refuge Bay contained large groups of reef sharks. Hunter sharks and reef sharks hunted off the coast of Ishau, as well as Jahaka Anchorage.
These creatures had been swimming in the oceans for thousands of years with little change in their appearance or methods.
The Coral Kingdom • Realms of Valor: "Grandfather's Toys" • Rising Tide • Under Fallen Stars • The Sea Devil's Eye • The Emerald Scepter • Queen of the Depths • Maiden of Pain • Wrath of the Blue Lady
- Video games
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 328,330,336. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Rob Heinsoo, Stephen Schubert (May 19, 2009). Monster Manual 2 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 182. ISBN 0786995101.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 279. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 64–65. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 263–264. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, Steve Winter (September 19, 2017). Tomb of Annihilation. In Michele Carter, Scott Fitzgerald Gray eds. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 43,64,66–67,82. ISBN 978-0-7869-6610-3.