|Title(s)|| The Black Archer |
The Night Hunter
|Portfolio|| Crusades |
Hatred of the Drow
|Domains||Chaos, Elf, Retribution, War|
|Worshipers||Arcane Archers, archers, elves, fighters, hunters, rangers, soldiers, sorcerers|
|Worshiper alignments|| |
|Favored weapon||The Black Bow (longbow)|
Shevarash is the elven deity of revenge, loss and hatred of the Drow. He never displays any emotion aside from anger and the occasional exultation after the death of an enemy. The Black Archer is disdainful of moderation in the pursuit of revenge, and will often strike preemptively against his foes.
The church of Shevarash is tiny, but rigidly disciplined. Clerics spend their days drilling, designing tactics, mapping out the Upper Underdark, and leading hit-and-run raids and assaults on drow territories.
Clerics of the Black Archer pray for their spells at dusk, just as the drow sneak into the surface world. The holiest day of the year for the church is Midwinter Night, during which the Dark Court Slaughter is remembered. Inductions into the ranks of the clergy occur at this time. Each new cleric screams vows of vengeance into the night air and swears neither to laugh nor smile until the Spider Queen and her followers are no more.
Shevarash has allied himself with both enemies of Lolth and other seekers of revenge, namely Callarduran Smoothhands, Hoar, Shar and Shaundakul. Like his patron Fenmarel Mestarine, the Black Archer is something of an outcast among the Seldarine; the others find him to be too dour and grim. Shevarash's foes are the evil deities of the drow pantheon and, to a lesser extent, the other evil deities of the Underdark.
In the year -4400 DR, in an event that would eventually be called the Dark Court Slaughter, an army of drow and duergar emerged from the Underdark and assaulted a meeting between the surface elves and dwarves. Shevarash was one of the few survivors. Falling to his knees amongst the carnage, the Black Archer swore an oath to Corellon Larethian to neither laugh nor smile until Lolth and her brood were destroyed.
In the year -4070 DR, Shevarash the Black Archer dies, but with the help of Fenmarel Mestarine undergoes Apotheosis to become the Night Hunter and Arrow Bringer. This green elf demigod of the Seldarine is still a hunter and vengeful destroyer of drow, but now hunts Lolth and Vhaeraun directly (though he no longer considers Eilistraee and her worshipers to be among his prey).
|“||The greatest enemy of the Seldarine is Lolth, who sought the corruption of Arvandor and the overthrow of the Creator of the Elves. The greatest enemy of the Fair Folk is the drow, the debased followers of the Spider Queen who long ago were enmeshed in her dark web. Redemption and revenge may be achieved through the utter destruction of the drow and the dark deities they serve. Only then may the joy of life begin anew. Hunt fearlessly!||”|
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 238. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Various (February 2006). Realms of the Elves. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 111. ISBN 0-7869-3980-X.
- ↑ Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 26. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 27. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.
- Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 130. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- Skip Williams, Rich Redman, James Wyatt (April 2002). Deities and Demigods. (Wizards of the Coast) ISBN 0-7869-2654-6.
- Eric L. Boyd (1998). Demihuman Deities. (Wizards of the Coast) ISBN 0-7869-1239-1.
- Carl Sargent (May 1992). Monster Mythology. (TSR, Inc) ISBN 1-5607-6362-0.
- Colin McComb (1996). On Hallowed Ground. (TSR, Inc) ISBN 0-7869-0430-5.
- Andy Collins, Jesse Decker, David Noonan, Rich Redman (February 2004). Unearthed Arcana. (Wizards of the Coast) ISBN 0-7680-3131-0.
|Deities of the Era of Upheaval|
|Ao the Overgod|
|Greater Deities of Faerûn|
|Angharradh | Bane | Chauntea | Corellon Larethian | Cyric | Garl Glittergold | Gruumsh | Horus-Re | Kelemvor | Lathander | Moradin | Mystra | Oghma | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talos | Tempus | Tyr | Yondalla|
|Intermediate Deities of Faerûn|
|Abbathor | Arvoreen | Baervan Wildwanderer | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Duerra | Deep Sashelas | Dumathoin | Erevan Ilesere | Flandal Steelskin | Gond | Hanali Celanil | Helm | Ilmater | Isis | Labelas Enoreth | Laduguer | Lolth | Mask | Mielikki | Nephthys | Osiris | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Segojan Earthcaller | Selûne | Set | Sharindlar | Sheela Peryroyl | Solonor Thelandira | Thoth | |Tymora | Umberlee | Urdlen | Vergadain|
|Deities of the Age of Humanity|
|Ao the Overgod|
|Major Deities of Faerûn|
|Angharradh | Bane | Bhaal | Chauntea | Corellon Larethian | Garl Glittergold | Gruumsh | Horus-Re | Lathander | Moradin | Myrkul | Mystra | Oghma | Shar | Silvanus | Sune | Talos | Tempus | Tyr | Yondalla|
|Other Deities of Faerûn|
|Auppenser | Abbathor | Arvoreen | Auril | Baervan Wildwanderer | Berronar Truesilver | Beshaba | Callarduran Smoothhands | Clangeddin Silverbeard | Cyrrollalee | Deep Duerra | Deep Sashelas | Dumathoin | Erevan Ilesere | Flandal Steelskin | Gond | Hanali Celanil | Helm | Ilmater | Isis | Labelas Enoreth | Laduguer | Lolth | Mask | Mielikki | Nephthys | Osiris | Rillifane Rallathil | Sehanine Moonbow | Segojan Earthcaller | Selûne | Set | Sharindlar | Sheela Peryroyl | Solonor Thelandira | Thoth | Tymora | Umberlee | Urdlen | Vergadain|