Shield was a relatively simple abjuration spell used by wizards or, in the past, sorcerers. When cast, shield manifested a wall of magical force around the caster, deflecting away damage and enhancing their reflexes significantly. Shield was not a very complex spell, but it required enough power on the part of its caster that it could not be recast until he or she had taken a short rest of a few minutes or more.
Before the Spellplague, shield was also used by sorcerers and, like other spells, could only be used a number of times per day equal to the number of times a wizard had prepared for it or a sorcerer had the energy left to cast.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 161. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 137. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 178. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- ↑ Dale Donovan (January 1998). Cult of the Dragon. (TSR, Inc), p. 125. ISBN 0-7869-0709-6.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 68. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.