Upon the casting of this spell, complete silence prevailed in the affected area. All sound was stopped: conversation was impossible, spells with verbal components could not be cast, and no noise whatsoever issued from, entered, or passed through the area. The spell could be cast on a point in space, but the effect was stationary unless cast on a mobile object. The spell could be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiated from the creature and moved as it moved. An unwilling creature could attempt to resist the spell by an act of will. Items in a creature's possession, or magic items that emitted sound, also had a chance to resist this spell, but unattended objects and points in space did not. This spell provided a defense against sonic or language-based attacks, such as command, harpy song, a horn of blasting, etc.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 68, 207–209, 275–276. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ Kim Mohan ed. (2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 139. ISBN 978-0786965809.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 279. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 275–276. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.