Song dragons eschewed the company of other dragons, choosing instead to live amongst humankind, aided by their alternate forms as young human women. Many were also talented actors. This made it extremely difficult to tell them apart from actual humans. They would reveal their real identities only when in great danger.
However, to human civilization, they were rare and surrounded in mystery.
The prevalence of song dragons in the Moonshae Isles caused some researchers to theorize that they originated there.
Essembramaerytha, as "Essembra", was a famous adventuress of the Dalelands in the 10th century DR. The town of Essembra in Battledale was named for her, standing on the spot where she was supposedly born.
Once, a pair of accidental sightings of women transforming into song dragons triggered a panic, as rumors spread that evil mages were turning their enemies into dragons.
One notable song dragon, Ammaratha Cyndusk, adopted the pseudonym Maerjanthra Shalace. She was so skilled at portraying a human that she fooled Elminster. He eventually had a child with her, and only found out that Ammaratha was a dragon well after the daughter was fully grown.
A song dragon could breathe a cone of electric gas at its foes.
In battle, they fought with their sharp claws as dragons or slashing blades as humans. They attacked quickly and without mercy. They often sang joyfully as they fought, unless silence was wiser.
Song dragons could use a magical ability, similar to polymorph self, at will to adopt the form of a human woman. Each dragon had only a single unique human form. The change took a dozen seconds to adopt human form, and half that to change back, but rendered the song dragon immobile. It destroyed clothing, bonds and anything else confining the song dragon or human.
In human form, they lacked the dragon's physical traits and breath weapon. Regardless of form, they maintained full knowledge and awareness, and could use all their magical spells and abilities.
A song dragon had the innate ability to speak any language as with the tongues spell. It also had continuous true seeing. Depending on age, a song dragon could also cast the spells light, darkness, blink, feather fall, polymorph any object, heal, plane shift, and teleport. It also cast the spells of a cleric and the Healing, Travel, and Trickery domains as arcane spells.
Known Song DragonsEdit
The following were song dragons:
- Alrue Crownshield
- Ammaratha Cyndusk
- Araemra, or "Longtalons"
- Essembramaerytha, or "Essembra"
- Faelrae Garthammus
- Ilden Garthammus
- Taraunramorlamurla, or "Serenescales", "Taunamorla Esmurla", or "Keeper of Secrets"
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 44–45. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.
- ↑ Richard Baker and James Wyatt (2004-03-13). Monster Update (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. p. 4. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-10.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 139. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- ↑ Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. pp. 10–15. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 122. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 97. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (May 2005). Elminster's Daughter. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786937684.
- James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 44–45. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 139. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Ed Greenwood (May 2005). Elminster's Daughter. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786937684.
Chromatic dragons: Red • Black • Blue • Green • White • Brown • Gray • Purple
Gem dragons: Amethyst • Emerald • Sapphire • Topaz • Crystal
Lung dragons: Chiang lung
Planar dragons: Astral • Faerie • Pyroclastic • Shadow
Miscellaneous dragons: Air • Ascendant • Brainstealer • Force • Mist • Prismatic • Radiant • Rattelyr • Song • Vishap